1990 2o ft Overnighter

rmatt

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hi. New to the forum. Just bought a 1990 Overnighter with a Yamaha 200 hp two stroke. Any advise or things to watch out for. Any advise about the boat or engine would be appreciated. Not new to boating, I have another boat, bought this to fish Eastern Long Island sound.
Thanks
Bob

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hi. New to the forum. Just bought a 1990 Overnighter with a Yamaha 200 hp two stroke. Any advise or things to watch out for. Any advise about the boat or engine would be appreciated. Not new to boating, I have another boat, bought this to fish Eastern Long Island sound.
Thanks
Bob
The trim around the edges of the transom has screws that need to be resealed from time to time as do the screws securing the hatch over the fuel tank. Transoms and that hatch are prone to getting “wet” from rainwater entertaining over time around those screws.
If you don’t have a transom saver plate it’s a good investment.

rmatt

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The trim around the edges of the transom has screws that need to be resealed from time to time as do the screws securing the hatch over the fuel tank. Transoms and that hatch are prone to getting “wet” from rainwater entertaining over time around those screws.
If you don’t have a transom saver plate it’s a good investment.
Thanks LT MIke. I did seal the fuel tank hatch but didn't think if the transom.
Bob

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check transom, decks and stringers well for signs of water. I'd expect some sort of issue unless very well cared for with a 30+ year hull. Good thing is it is glass and can be fixed.

rmatt

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Check transom, decks and stringers well for signs of water. I'd expect some sort of issue unless very well cared for with a 30+ year hull. Good thing is it is glass and can be fixed.

Had the boat checked and all is said good.

langski93

Reaction score
Not sure what motor you have, but with my 99 OX66, the cooling stream will be low pressure at idle and will become very powerful when RPMs increase. I did not know this at the time. My motors cooling stream was always low pressure regardless of RPMs and I was told that its just the way some motors are. Not true. When my power head blew up, I was then told it was caused by a malfunctioning poppet valve. Tough lesson to learn. If your motor has that valve or if cooling passages have not been cleaned you may want to have that checked out. Good luck.

rmatt

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Not sure what motor you have, but with my 99 OX66, the cooling stream will be low pressure at idle and will become very powerful when RPMs increase. I did not know this at the time. My motors cooling stream was always low pressure regardless of RPMs and I was told that its just the way some motors are. Not true. When my power head blew up, I was then told it was caused by a malfunctioning poppet valve. Tough lesson to learn. If your motor has that valve or if cooling passages have not been cleaned you may want to have that checked out. Good luck.

I have a 200 hp Yamaha stroke