1990 Grady White Trophy Pro 259G

PIGSNOT

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
Hello all,

I have a New to me Grady White Trophy Pro 259G. I repowered the original motors with new Suzuki 200's. Boat is solid and has been running great, last 80 hours. Last trip out (180 mile) round trip I was running off of the auxiliary tank and the aft motor started cutting off with 2/3 full tank. After the second time I switched that motor to the main and ran the other motor off of the auxiliary without issue till empty. I have heard this could be many issues from fuel pickup to fuel line to value to filter. Any suggestions of what to try or look for would be appreciated. Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello all,

I have a New to me Grady White Trophy Pro 259G. I repowered the original motors with new Suzuki 200's. Boat is solid and has been running great, last 80 hours. Last trip out (180 mile) round trip I was running off of the auxiliary tank and the aft motor started cutting off with 2/3 full tank. After the second time I switched that motor to the main and ran the other motor off of the auxiliary without issue till empty. I have heard this could be many issues from fuel pickup to fuel line to value to filter. Any suggestions of what to try or look for would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Aft" motor? What kinda boat 'ya got there?!?

What is "value"?

Unless this is a sporadic issue...

The problem is NOT:
-- Fuel/water sep
-- The fuel line from the fuel selector switch to the fuel/water sep
-- The tank vent
-- Fuel quality

The problem could be:
-- Fuel pickup tube is cracked for the "aft" motor below the 2/3 mark
-- If you have one, the anti-siphon valve at that pickup is clogged
-- The screen on the bottom of that tube got clogged
-- The fuel line from the aux tank (for the aft motor) to the selector switch has failed internally
-- Clog at the fuel selector switch

Overall, not a hard job - check on those things. It could be something else, but based on what you've written, this makes the most sense.

Anyone see something that I forgot?

PIGSNOT

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
"Aft" motor? What kinda boat 'ya got there?!?

What is "value"?

Unless this is a sporadic issue...

The problem is NOT:
-- Fuel/water sep
-- The fuel line from the fuel selector switch to the fuel/water sep
-- The tank vent
-- Fuel quality

The problem could be:
-- Fuel pickup tube is cracked for the "aft" motor below the 2/3 mark
-- If you have one, the anti-siphon valve at that pickup is clogged
-- The screen on the bottom of that tube got clogged

-- The fuel line from the aux tank (for the aft motor) to the selector switch has failed internally
-- Clog at the fuel selector switch

Overall, not a hard job - check on those things. It could be something else, but based on what you've written, this makes the most sense.

Anyone see something that I forgot?

Thank you Dennis, yes sorry Port/Left Side. Thank you. I will check those areas first.