1990 Gulfstream anchor locker

exudedude

Reaction score
Is there a way to watertight that hatch? Alot of water does not get in the drain due to the rode. It's getting past the compartment wall causing mold etc...

Also has anyone tackled replacing the compartment wall between locker and cabin....I really don't care for the wood panel and the snap on vinyl.

Thanks

exudedude

Reaction score
Well no one wants to reply, no biggie. But I'll update you as to my issue what I found. If you have an older hull as I do or even the same set up on another model, be informed a good amount of nuisance water can get in this way.
I have a couple of issues, one the previous owner had a danforth anchor and 300' of rode.. well the anchor did not fit in the locker, there is no pulpit so he strapped it to the bowrail and the connection end of the anchor in the locker thru the hole. Water runs down whether it is rain or splash water... it follows the rode and gets in by the factory installed vinyl flap.

The factory installed the formica panel(bulkhead) over the carpet, so water soaks the carpet and it seeps into the cabin, there was no adhesive or caulk installed at the fiberglass or wood panel juncture.

The rode opening in the lid of the locker lets a decent amount of water in, during a good blowing rain...again the water ends up on the bulkhead and seeps in soaking the carpet and slips past where the panel should have been caulked, then the water runs along the teak trim at the carpet and fiberglass juncture on the port side. The water finally deposits a brown stain at the cabin/cockpit bulkhead and rotting the bottom of that panel.

I am now in the process of replacing that front bulkhead with starboard( along with all of the others and my fake teak). I will be cutting the carpet back so I can caulk in the panel from yhe locker side... I have as of yet figured out what to do with the locker lid's 1" hole for the rode.. any ideas? I also have to get a different anchor, one that fits in the locker or build a pulpit.

I basically anchor in 25-60 of water 90% of the time in mud or sand. I am leaning towards a SeaCure " Seaclaw" anchor but there seems to be a dispute in the weight. The salesperson says 12lb's and I say 16 with 6' of chain.. can someone help me here? It was pretty much the setup I had on my last 23' walk around.... just asking as there is 40-50 bucks difference in weight.
Thanks

richie rich

Reaction score
I don't have a moisture issue with mine at this point...but I'm not keen on water getting in there as you mentioned......I have seen a few other boats that actually have an anchor locker drain thru-hull installed at the bow......not sure what it looks like inside or if the compartment is sealed off from the rest of the bilge....looks like its not a good situation on your boat...