1990 Gulfstream Horn wiring?

exudedude

Reaction score
The horn has been missing since purchase, so I found a horn that fits the old screw hole pattern as close as possible.

When I pulled out the wiring I am totally at a loss. There are 2 reds and 2 blacks. Was there a double horn originally? There was only screw holes for 1 base.

Thanks

richie rich

Reaction score
I think the horn is orange/white , not red/black....check the wiring diagram in your manual.....or GW web site

exudedude

Reaction score
richie rich said:
I think the horn is orange/white , not red/black....check the wiring diagram in your manual.....or GW web site

Well let me tell ya I'm not colorblind...where the horn was mounted is the wires I described in the original post. whether they are new or old I don't know, but that is what is there and that is what I'm asking the help for. The wires are under the original ceiling upholstry

And as far as the GW customer help is concerned, they are worthless atleast the ones that reply to my emails. Every time I ask them a question for parts or repairs.. I am told that part is no longer available and maybe check with a local dealer to find a viable repair to the situation.

A good example of this was my bow windows... I sent them a pic and I gave them my hull #. They told me the gaskets are no longer available, so I caulked them in with a 1 part urethane. It's a great fix, but was totally un-necessary as I later found out the windows were made by Water Bonnet and the gaskets are still available

I love my boat and I enjoy this site.. but some of you guys are just zombies from the Grady White koolaid. Yes they are great boats, but they were not always put together the way they were supposed to.

richie rich

Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting you're colorblind....I was suggesting to take a look at the wiring diagram in the owners manual or the GW website if you don't have one because they originally state a different wiring color in their schematic, which would mean somewhere along the line it was changed and you need to try and trace it back a little further. Most likely it was either re-run or spliced in by the previous owner. Since you had 2 pair of wires and they were of different origin than the factory, there aren't too many people who can determine the exact problem you are having because it will be different from what they have on their GW boats.

I can't speak for GW customer service when it comes to their responses to you or anyone else...I've actually had good luck with them in the past....but its still no reason to take out your frustration on folks on this site who are trying to help, if they can in any way. We didn't build or modify your boat. All we can do is suggest a possible way to fix a problem.

exudedude

Reaction score
my apologies..but it gets real old that you have a all original boat, with all original parts and all original wiring and a all original inspection tag on the all original wiring harness that is under the all original upholstry. No offense meant to you I appreciate you help. I deal with this on every issue of my boat.. maybe they ran out of orange and white that day or maybe my vessel was built by the I don't give a crap crew.

My comment on zombies was meant that there are some in this world..who listen to everything the factory says as gospel. That some believe Grady does no wrong... forgetting some of the years of bad QC and poor boat building practices.

I love my Grady, and I got her at an unbelievable value... all one owner, he just got lazy in the end. But if I was the original purchaser and found some of the thing I have found.. I would have gone postal at the dealer.

Maybe some of the 1990 and earlier people can chime in..........

And once again I did not mean to offend you............

richie rich

Reaction score
No worries, and I hear you....my 88 has/had questionable issues as well.....just gotta keep going forward until its the way you want it....otherwise, I'll have to answer the other post on "what will it take to buy a new boat"......I don't even want to go there.

exudedude

Reaction score
richie rich said:
No worries, and I hear you....my 88 has/had questionable issues as well.....just gotta keep going forward until its the way you want it....otherwise, I'll have to answer the other post on "what will it take to buy a new boat"......I don't even want to go there.

Yeah, me neither..but I want to clarify my answer there.. If I go in debt buying another boat it would be either a 32 + Intrepid or a Sedan of some type.