1990 GW 19' Tournament scupper question

rennick75

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm just learning about this 1990 GW Tournament 19 I just purchased.
The scuppers on either side back of the stern seem to be below the water line. I just purchased replacement flaps as the current ones are very old and worn out. Aren't scuppers supposed to be above the water line? I purchased this boat with bottom paint already there and the scuppers are below the bottom paint line. Also, I notice water comes in the boat quickly when launched and surrounds the battery.
I'm hoping the new scupper flaps will help the problem but wondered if anyone here knows what the scupper situation is on a Tournament 19 model. Should it be blocked off instead of having a scupper to prevent the intake of water??
Thanks for the info in advance. -Steve

Toad

Reaction score
Sounds like you are taking on water or have way to much weight in the stern. What is the engine model? You can get the weight from the NADA used boat/motor site. 400 lb. to 450 lb. would be normal weight for a 192 OB.
Do you have an operating bilge pump?
The scuppers are to drain the cockpit by gravity, so they must be above the waterline. On my '95 192 the scuppers are maybe 5" or 6" above the waterline. New scupper flaps will not solve the problem you describe.
If the boat has been sitting for a long time you may have collected bilge water from rain or wash downs through cracks in the deck or missing / worn out O rings around the inspection access covers.
Suggest you get the boat on a trailer or lift. Then open the inspection ports to determine how much liquid is in the bilge. Wait a while before draining the bilge to see if a hull crack shows water leaking out. Could be a bad fitting or plug at the bilge drain.
Hopefully any liquid in the bilge is water vs. fuel. Remove the bilge drain plug and drain the bilge into a large container so you can measure the amount and determine what is necessary for disposal.
Hope the fix is a simple one.
Toad

RICHNLE

Reaction score
I have a 2002 192, and the bottom of the scuppers are right at the water line. If I put a kicker motor on and have a couple of folks standing at the same corner, some water comes in but drains back out when the people move away from that corner. My scuppers are not below the water line but are certainly not 5" above the waterline either. I would be very hesitant to block off the scuppers if the boat is ever left in water unattended. New flaps should help the problem with water entering when launching from the trailer. Otherwise, I agree with Toad's advise to look into why there seems to be so much weight in the back of your boat.

cedarholm

Reaction score
Too much engine weight? What engine do you have? Weight of engine?
Maybe a wet transom? Any thru-hulls on bottom of boat?

rennick75

Reaction score
boat weight / scuppers

Hi guys,
I love this website...thanks for your quick responses. Obviously I'm a novice so this forum is great to turn to when needed. My boat is actually always on a trailer full time . It has a 150 Yamaha outboard... I think its also made in 1990 matching the boat...not sure. The boat does seem very heavy when towing so it may be that there is water under the deck. The bilge pump is actually not functioning now so that doesn't help. I figured that while being on a trailer with the drain plug pulled, water that might be under the deck would drain, but the bow doesn't sit very elevated from the stern on the trailer so there isn't much of an angle for the water to drain by gravity. I try to drive very slow over the bridges crossing the river hoping that pitch will drain any excess water. I guess the trailer should also be adjusted. As soon as the boat is launched at the ramp, water is by the batteries and oil container below the stern seating. I can't figure it out. Maybe something is severly waterlogged. I'll check the inspection ports and see whats there. I'm starting to get the feeling this purchase is going to be more expensive than anticipated...
Thanks again for the advice!! -Steve

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
On my 89 tournament 190 the scuppers also are at the waterline, also with a 150. Had simular problem with old scuppers when too much weight in rear water came in surrounded the batteries & oil tank. I also trailer, put some blocks under the third wheel to get that bow up it will help with drainage. I put on a pair of plastic scuppers with the ball inside, they work great unless there is any junk inside hindering the ball movement. Deffinatly check out the things the other guys have mentioned. Good Luck

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your scuppers are in place to drain the deck and engine splash well of the boat overboard.Even if they are below the water line it should wet your feet on the deck but run back out as soon as you get your boat on plane even with defective scuppers.
Water should not enter the bilge area where the batteries are located through a leaky scupper unless the scupper leaks and you have a broken hose between the deck drain and the defective scupper. Getting that much water in the bilge should be an easy find. I would not go out in my boat until I locate the leak and repair the bilge pump.
I haven't had my Grady long but I think you have a scupper fitting and scupper which you see on the outside of the hull then a short lenght of hose connected to the supper fitting and the drain fitting in the deck of the boat.
If I'm wrong I'll be corrected quickly.

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Voyager is correct the drain tubes up high are to let the splash from the motor well out. The lower drain tubes thru the transom with exterior scuppers are for self bailing cockpit, when water comes in it also goes back out not into the bildge, unless you get so much water & the boat is anchored with to much weight in the rear and the scuppers are below water line open they will not drain. On your 19 the batteries & oil tank are under the rear jump seats the water that would get your feet wet wont bother them. Fix that pump before going out, It is no fun taking on water and not having a working pump. lets say I am speaking from experience.
It's a lot easier to fix you issues on the trailer than in the water.

cedarholm

Reaction score
I have an Escape 209 so I'm not familiar with your battery layout.
But I don't think water around battery is good.

First, GET A WORKING BILGE PUMP ASAP!

Also, pull drain plug and find a steep hill to park on.
You may have water hanging out up front that doesn't drain when on trailer.
Park on steep hill and go back to see what comes out of drain.
(Have a tool handy to keep drain opening clean of bilge debris)

Once you're certain boat is "dry", Launch again with all access panels open, and with a flashlight, see if you can see any leaks.

Inspect hoses between deck drain and scuppers.
Inspect all thru hull fittings.
Could transom be soaked?

jdsmith

Reaction score
rennick75

Welcome to the site. Although I have only been a forum member for about two years now I can say that if there is one subject that has been discussed more frequently than any other, it is the apparent poor design of the scupper location on ALL of the Grady White models. When time permits, look back through prior threads on the forum and you will find numerousl topics discussing the very problem you are facing. I have the same problem on my 204 Fisherman CC. I can't believe that a Grady White spokesman has not addressed this PROBLEM on this forum or at least acknowledged that it is a design problem and that Grady will eliminate the problem on future models. Adding new scuppers, new tubes, new lines, and adding weight to the bow of the boat only treat the symptom not the cause. Design a boat with the scuppers 3 or 5 inches higher and none of us would have had the problem. Seems like a simple design modification to me.