1990 Marlin Refurb questions

BoatWife

Reaction score
My DH and I are looking to upgrade from our Gulfstream to a Marlin. We have 2 kids now and like to take weekend trips on our boat. We don't really want to spend more than 25 - 30k. A tight budget when you want a Marlin, but we don't mind an older fixer upper. We've recently come across a 1990 28' Marlin repo that's in really rough shape. Seller is asking $15k. The hull looks great, but it will need all new electronics and refubishing in the cabin. We need to have the engines looked at (Yamaha V250 ox66). If they are salvageable, then we might consider the boat.

Any idea what it might cost to refurbish?. The windows leak, needs all new appliances, upholstery redone. It's also missing the wench and anchor and the rail needs to be replaced. Essentially, we'd be buying the hull and engines that probably need to be rebuilt. Is it really worth the hassle?

gerrys

Reaction score
It depends on how handy you are and how much spare time you have. If you have to hire the work out, you'd probably be better off looking for a boat in better shape.
If you have the time, talent and patience, plan on LOTS of hard work. It's slow and boring work and the only enjoyment you'll get is when it's finished.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you pretty much buy a "project" boat for the project -- not the boat.

replacing the rails and the windlass will already put you into the thousands -- and that assumes you do all the work. if the boat is in rough shape, there could be very expensive repairs needed that are not readily identifiable.

you would be better off looking for a better kept boat at the top of your range. do a search on yacht world.

also, you might want to consider buying up. a marlin is a size that i would expect to be satisfactory for quite a long time. if finances allow, this it the time to go for it and get a new leftover or a late model used. the deals out there are not going to last much longer. just my 2 cents. ron

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ElyseM is right..For every obvious issue that can be seen, there could be many more that won't pop up 'till after you've committed.
Plus, refurbishing boats are like houses. It costs more than you think and takes longer than you think.

Trust me on this..I HAVE been there.

panhdjoe

Reaction score
Hello There is a 28 Marlin in Charleston SC that would be worth a look. I have seen the boat it mainly needs cleaned up They are asking 34k but I have been told the seller is "highly motivated" It has late model engines. http://www.butlermarineinc.com/default.asp In the long run it would cost less than the boat you mentioned. My wife and I decided it was a little bigger than what we want for the 2 of us. Good luck Joe

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice - as long as buyer wants 250 HPDI motors.

Yes - much newer motors.

Way beter on fuel & oil economy too.

BoatWife

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! You all stated what we knew in our hearts, so we'll keep looking!

Nemesis

Reaction score
Marlin Refurb

Try this site they have had a 30' Marlin listed for some time pic's look good, engines may be an issue. They may take any decent offer as the boat has been there for some time. They are great to work with I have had my boat there for some time now and just purchased a new 232 Gulfstream and again they were more than willing to work with me.

http://www.yachtworld.com/somerspoint

nauditq

Reaction score
There is a 28Marlin in my Marina that has sat most all summer, up for sale. Talking to a slip buddy, it might be in your price range.
I walked by it for a look, more than a few times, and if I was in the Market, would inquire about it.. I have no first hand info, but the boat has Yam.250's hpdi's. It is in Breezy Point Marina in Md.
If you want the number posted on the boat, let me know, I have a few pic's of it.
Dan

Grady282owner

Reaction score
wsreynolds.

I too just purchased a boat from Somers Point Marina. I had such an outstanding experience with those guys there, I would refer anyone to them over and over again! I didnt buy new either I bought the 2006 282 that is still listed on their site as sold now but still there! They are worht their weight in gold!

typhoon411

Reaction score
Is this the 1990 Marlin with the Pair of 2002 OX66's from Onset Bay Marina?

I purchased that boat for 14k in December! Awesome boat! The engines are in great shape and the interior and combing pads (bolsters) are being replaced by a local mom and pop canvas shop!

I'll post pictures shortly! I'm also installing dual NavNet3d 12' displays and a entire radar/chartplotter/TV integration setup...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If no other problems with hull or transom, you stole the boat at that price !

232 GULF

Reaction score
Have you guys considered the 265 express? Not nearly the same room in the cabin but you'll be able to find a nicer boat in your price range........Just a thought.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What does "DH" stand for?

All I can think of is "Designated hitter" !