1990 Overnighter 204C Repower options/advice

Bread

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Overnighter 204C (weight 2,550 lbs) that I am looking to Repower. (Note current engine is a 1995 Suzuki 150EFI 2 stroke with a blown power head and do not want to pay to fix it) I would like to go with a new 4-stroke Yamaha but I am informed that engine weight on a 1990 GW transom/scuppers needs to less than 500 lbs. This has me looking at the Yamaha F150 (466 lbs) and possibly the Suzuki DF175 (474 lbs.) as I would like to get some extra Horse Power for skiing and tubing and not be under powered. . The Yamaha 2-stoke 200 HPDI is also an 3rd option. I am hoping someone with an older Grady White. went through a similar repowering process recently and can lend some advice with the “right” repowering solution.

wlewis

Reaction score
E Tec 175/200 weighs 427 lbs and has more low end power than the 4 strokes.

swampyankee

Reaction score
I've got a 1984 overnighter with a 2003 yam. 150 hpdi has plenty of power and does real well on fuel . It weights apx. 475 lbs.

Bread

Reaction score
swamp yankee,

Any problems with scuppers or ride?

Bread

Reaction score
wlewis,

Not that familiar with E Tec will check them out. are you using one?

thanks!

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1988 Overnighter with a 200 HPDI. The engine and boat are great together, but I would not want to add much more weight. My scuppers are close to water level and are only a small problem when you get the boat load with a couple of guys and a baittank at the stern.

The power and performance are wonderful. I pull tubes and stuff with mine without a problem.

swampyankee

Reaction score
Bread, the scupers are apx.20% below the waterline with no one on board.

wlewis

Reaction score
Bread,
I have an E Tec 250 on my Gulstream 23 and love it. I've had it for a little over 2 years and put 100 hours on it. Very quiet, fuel efficient and has great power. No required maintainace for 3 years is also a big plus.

Bread

Reaction score
swamp yankee,

Do you know how much higher the deck holes are than the Stern Scuppers (an inch or two) ?

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Bread,
I have an 1986 overnighter 204c and installed a suzuki f150 counter rotating that I was able to get a good price on. I would have went with a 175 however they were unavailable at the time I was looking.With full load of fuel, scuppers are 80% under at rest. I don't regret it at all. :) Great motor plenty of power for me. I am not sure of the cost difference for a 175 but more ponies won't hurt for same weight. E-tec still needs a place for an external oil tank unless someone wants to correct me on that fact. :roll:

Bread

Reaction score
BUZZCUDA

Thanks for the valuable feedback. Does having the scuppers at 80% under at rest pose any potential problems i.e. water getting in or puddling?

Difference is about 3K more for the 175 in NY. How long have you had your 150? Do you have the original Gas tank?

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Bread, I will tell you my story hopefully it helps in your decision. When I found the boat in 06 it had the original 150 hp 1985 suzuki. I have had suzuki power on two other family boats and could not be happier with them so you know I did entertain other brands but all of their posotives was not enough to steer me away from suzuki power. I am no Don Johnson 8) and 40 mph wot is good enough for me and the fam.
Iam the second owner of the boat and the person who I had baught from had the canvas and enclosure done 1 yr prior and fuel tank 2 yrs prior. I did replace the soft transom, steering , and added trim tabs. As for the scuppers I do have several solutions to that minor problem and to be honest when tank is full water drains at rest. If Iam in the boat it drains slowwwly unless I go to the front or helm area. I do admit I had to get used to seeing a little water in my boat but, use it enough and Iam fine with it now. We are not talking about a flood of water, enough to get your foot wet to your toe tops at most.I always expect and prepair to get a little wet on any boat. Iam 300lbs so you know. I also have two gell cell batteries that wiegh more than conventials and bigger than necessary at that ,so an extra 120lbs at least to the back of the boat. Now tank at 3/4-1/2 full not really an issue. If really necessary I cork the scuppers. Please note that I looked at a New 208 at my local grady dealer with F-150 Yamaha power. Price around 38,000. I also asked about re power he recomended and said he repowers older 20' center or cuddy grady's with f 150 s all the time. The weight is about the same for HPDI or 4 stroke. I was crabbing over the weekend me, wife and 2 youngsters hanging on the port side had no problems. I was more worried about losing the crab than a little water on deck. I also have an 1985 mako center console and 99 DT 150 Suzuki. Iam not against a 175 I just got a good deal on a 150.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Oh yeh forgot to add, where the water builds in front of the scupper hole where that little dip is at, you usually don't stand in that exact spot. The water does not stay there constantly. Just know that if at rest or anchor if you see a little water come in its no big deal. I may also add a special swing gate valve to the floor drain lines but that is for another project that I don't want to start :lol: .