1990 saifish scuppers

fearnofish

Reaction score
i have a 1990 sailfish i think i should replace the plastic scuppers can someone give me in depth what exactly i need to do. and maybe a website where i can order them. i have never done it.

catch22

Reaction score
If your referring to just the outside scupper, on the transom, it's simple. Just remove the 4 screws on the plastic ring. Pop off the scuppers and replace them. There are a total of 3 parts to the scupper. A large rubber washer, (goes on first), then the rubber flapper, then the plastic ring.

A very important note.... I made a terrible mistake by replaceing them with a West Marine brand scupper, (same size, hole pattern, etc). Their flapper is NOT THE SAME MATERIAL as the oem's. It's harder.... like vinyl. It was too stiff and would drain very slowly. Imo, it was dangerous, and at the very least, it was a real pain in the A$$. I contacted Grady and they said their scuppers are - Attwood, part number 387581. I didn't bother shopping around for them, instead I went right to a Grady dealer. They actually sell the individual parts, (plastic ring, flapper, and middle rubber washer). Their prices weren't really bad either, about $2 for each part. I wouldn't chance ordering them on line, unless your certain they're the genuine type. If you decide to pick them up at a boating store, just make sure they have the soft rubber flapper that flex's easily.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
If you are going to replace the entire scupper then go to the grady white dealer near you. They sell the entire unit in stainless steel and its a perfect match and an easy job. Also replace the scupper hose from the deck to the scupper and make sure you get the same type scupper hose as they use at the factory. You should also replace all the other plastic scuppers on the boat due to UV breakdown and dont blame me when you lose some skin on your hands because its a real PITA. When i did mine I would just tap the plastic thruhulls and they would crumble apart. Scary.

Good Luck. :wink:

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If they're that old it isn't worth rebuilding them, replace them. If they fail, it's going to get ugly.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
RUMBLEFISH said:
If you are going to replace the entire scupper then go to the grady white dealer near you. They sell the entire unit in stainless steel and its a perfect match and an easy job. Also replace the scupper hose from the deck to the scupper and make sure you get the same type scupper hose as they use at the factory. You should also replace all the other plastic scuppers on the boat due to UV breakdown and dont blame me when you lose some skin on your hands because its a real PITA. When i did mine I would just tap the plastic thruhulls and they would crumble apart. Scary.

Good Luck. :wink:

excellent advice...repalce all of the thru hulls with stainless steel...those scuppers,the old ones like your's are nylon...replace tham all and forget about them... :wink:

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
fearnofish said:
the rest where all replaced. except the four in the back i just bought the boat thanks

the outer 2 are the self bailer scuppers,the inner 2 are the splashwell drains...the splashwell drains are bronze tubes...these need to be checked for corrosion,if these fail,the transom core will become saturated with water in a real short amount of time...

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
GT said:
Stainless steel or Bronze for the thru hulls below the water line?

The scuppers I got from a grady dealer are stainless and are below the waterline. He said thats what they use on all the newer boats.

fearnofish

Reaction score
all four are out of the cockpit the engines are on a bracket. no matter what all are being replaced
jimmy's marine service said:
fearnofish said:
the rest where all replaced. except the four in the back i just bought the boat thanks

the outer 2 are the self bailer scuppers,the inner 2 are the splashwell drains...the splashwell drains are bronze tubes...these need to be checked for corrosion,if these fail,the transom core will become saturated with water in a real short amount of time...