1990 sailfish bow rail

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I believe they are thru bolted, so you need to take the lining apart in the cabin to access the nuts below and need 2 people to tighten them as a team. I would recommend unscrewing them if they are loose and cualking the holes then tighten them, chances are if they were loose they were letting some water in and you need to stop that before it is too late and you have some real damage on your hands. And deck screws or mounting bolts that do not tighten need attention and really should be resealed, this is something you should check once a year. Last spring my big project was to pull up all of my deck screws and recualk them all back in to prevent any rotting or water seepage, something many of us overlook or do not know to check.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I bet for most of them, a second person reaches up under the area from the cabin, first man stays up at the walkaround. The ones close to the bow you get via the anchor locker door or taking down cabin forward bulkhead.

I advise to take each out and reseal the holes, once the bolt moves, the existing seal may be compromised. Same goes for deck cleats.

Every one of them is drilled through plywood coring.

Backwash II

Reaction score
fearnofish,
Any luck getting to the nuts under the rail?

I have the same problem. Sorry I didn't see your post before I added mine. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Backwash II

fearnofish

Reaction score
Backwash II said:
fearnofish,
Any luck getting to the nuts under the rail?

I have the same problem. Sorry I didn't see your post before I added mine. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Backwash II

no luck at all i cant get to them

fearnofish

Reaction score
any other ideas the ones mid ship you can't get to. it's driving me nuts i need to seal these i even loaded up caulk top side but i would like to do the job correctly it's the only place that lets in rain water.

richie rich

Reaction score
you should be able to get at them from the inside...you gotta remove that beautiful carpeting to do so....the toughest ones may be midship. Keep digging