1990 VX250 question, 1990 GW Gulfstream

exudedude

Reaction score
What is the max RPM for this motor. I'm getting 5200 WOT and 36mph acorrding to the GPS. She runs great now that the bulb issue is fixed.

I think she is propped a little shy, compression is good. I'm not looking to reprop I was just curious. I will repower in spring

Also if anyone would wanna chime in on the repower. What would be the best options for me. Yamaha and Merc has good support in my area. I don't go morethan 20 miles outsid tampa bay. I'm no speed demon, but I would like to get 40-45 mph if possible. Fuel economy is probably my biggest concern.

Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Although fuel economy may be your biggest concern, $35-40K on repowering to get that speed may be an even bigger concern.

If your Gulf has a bracket, a new one can be fitted to take a single F350, which may save about $10K and get you to 45 mph at WOT. No such possibility if you have motor on transom model.

exudedude

Reaction score
BobP said:
Although fuel economy may be your biggest concern, $35-40K on repowering to get that speed may be an even bigger concern.

If your Gulf has a bracket, a new one can be fitted to take a single F350, which may save about $10K and get you to 45 mph at WOT. No such possibility if you have motor on transom model.

No bracket it has the drop transom, what speed could I expect then from the new 300 V6 Yamaha came out with?

I was hoping for a little more speed out of her.. I by no means a speed demon. Just wanted a little more speed to out run the storms when needed.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good question,

No need to wait on the new Yamaha 300, someone may have a 300 HPDI or 300 Zuzie, or 300 ETEC, on a Gulfstream, all of these motors have been in use for some time now. Not likey on this site, you can try that question over at www.thehulltruth.com

Don't think a 300 will get you to 40 MPH, IMHO.

catch22

Reaction score
I was topping out at 40, (barely) on my 91 Gulfstream... 2000 ox66 250. Max rpm's were around 5600. Light load, (2 people, half fuel) trimmed up and smooth sea conditions. 17" pitch prop.