1991 Gulfstream transducer help

momoney

Reaction score
I can't get a decent reading over 5 or 10 knots on my lowrance elite 7 hdi..I will probably end up with a thru hull but thought I would ask first..The transducer is currently mounted to the right of starboard engine but I saw another rigged in the center a while back..Most of my fishing is in 100-150 ft if that helps.

seasick

Reaction score
momoney said:
I can't get a decent reading over 5 or 10 knots on my lowrance elite 7 hdi..I will probably end up with a thru hull but thought I would ask first..The transducer is currently mounted to the right of starboard engine but I saw another rigged in the center a while back..Most of my fishing is in 100-150 ft if that helps.
There are a few things that you can check first:
The transducers bottom edge should be even to a tad lower than the hull's bottom at the xducers location. It should not be inline with hull steps, chine edges or other hull penetrations such as water scoops. etc.
The bottom edge of the xducer should be tilted up at iys rear a bit so that its bottom is parallel to the water surface when the boat is on plane. The fact that you loose bottom at such a low speed tells me that the transducer is mounted too high or is flooded with air bubbles. The bubbles will kill the signal in a flash.
So check the height and make sure it gets relatively undisturbed water.

seasick

Reaction score
momoney said:

I forgot one more thing. Make sure the bottom of the xducer is clear of growth. A small barnacle will screw up the signal due to water turbulence.

momoney

Reaction score
Thanks will check for obstructions/position and report back .