1991 Sailfish Hull

Diogee2

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Greetings, I went and looked a 1991 sailfish 25 today that we are hopefully going to end up with and I noticed what looked like a glassed on keel guard (about 18 inches wide and 30 inches long) just at the bow where it breaks water underway, i wasn't sure if it was a feature or a beefed up patch job. Does anyone know if this is standard or should my surveyer be looking for damage around that spot. Any help is greatly appreciated, i will try to attach a picture later.

Thanks,
Jason

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Would I be concerned about that if I was in your shoes? Yes absolutely. Looks like a patch job, who knows how well done

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You may be able to check from the inside too. Doesn’t look right to me. I would flat out ask!

Diogee2

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the inputs, the seller reached out to his father in law (original owner since new) and verified, he had a custom Steel plate made and installed so he could visit some of the cobble stone beaches we have up here (PNW). I kinda felt it looked a bit too symmetric to be a bad patch job and the condition and receipts for the rest of the boat leads me to believe they wouldn't have skimped on a bad repair. Thanks again for your inputs, survey next week!

Reactions: PointedRose

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow, looks like it could be an Ice Breaker!

seasick

Reaction score
I wonder how it was attached. I've never seen anything like it but it has some appeal as far as protecting against hard bottoms in shallow waters.

I wonder if it created turbulence at its trailing edge.
So if it was added, it is odd but not necessarily a reason to kill a deal.
One down side is that it will be herd to impossible to judge the keels condition underneath it.