1992 Dolphin - Livewell - Wash Down

sraab928

Reaction score
Ok - I wanted to use the Livewell for the first time this weekend - I had not used it or the raw water wash down before. I went to the transom - switched the lever to livewell and flipped on the switch and got nothing - I checked the breaker and all was well - I then flipped it to washdown and got nothing that way either - I checked the intake back at the transom - the handle was open. I assume my motor is shot? Anyone have a clue where it is? I checked the diagram on the download manual for 1992 but its not specific enough. My guess is probably under the passenger seat - I wont be going back to the boat until Friday so I was hoping to talk it out here first so I can go full bore and get it fixed.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you have the 253G model, open up the center service door at the rear, lean all the way in and look to the port, it should be mounted to the main stringer about 1.5 feet forward of the transom. That's where it was mounted in my 252G.

To get at it you would have to take up the bilge floor cover.

Break the connections at the pump and tap in a digital voltmeter so that when you turn on the switch you can read the meter, if you read 11 - 12 V. nominal, the pump or it's pressure actuated switch is shot. On an original pump, I would replace instead of attempt a repair.
If the voltage is lower, report back.

If a new pump is needed, may I suggest you relocate it to the transom so that next time the bilge cover does not have to be pulled to gain access to it. It can also be elevated higher. And avoid the use of 90 deg fittings as much as you can, to lessen the pressure drop associated with them.

Replace the SW hose as well, it is 3/4" size.

sraab928

Reaction score
Thanks Bob! Yes I have the 253G Model - It really is a fantastic boat - I can't believe they only made the model for four years -

Thanks again for the great advice!
Scott

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anytime !

Grady offered three different Sailfish models and three different Dolphin models in 1992, for a total of six walkarounds on the same hull !
To me, the era of customer choice ended on the Sailfish line in 1994.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Make sure the wires are all connected and did not come lose. This happened to me last week and I thought it was the pump but after I check all the wires I found that they were not connected even tho they were taped together. After I pulled the tape off of them they were connected but not making a charge, I clean them up and put the pliers to them then taped them up good and after that the pump worked well and no problems since then. You might tap on the pump with a screwdriver or something when the switches are on and you have the trigger on the hose on, maybe you lost prime or the motor is stuck due to lack of use.

sraab928

Reaction score
Thanks Slim - Hopefully its as simple as that - The boat was sitting for a few years before I bought it - It has very very low hours. Somewhere around 100. I fired up the radar last weekend (oldy but a goody) and it ha9 29 hours on it. Its the first Grady of that vintage I looked at that has the original cockpit drain hoses that look like they just came from the factory. I will still be changing all my through hulls and hoses this off season just for peace of mind. I lift keep the boat but there is still that worry when your out on it.