1992 Marlin -Forward Bilge Pump Help

bhemi

Reaction score
I decide to replace my forward bilge pump and switch based on the fact that I was getting only intermittent functioning when it was switched on. I pulled out the pump and the switch. Both Rule, a 1500 GPH pump and the switch enclosed in a blue box type cover.

When I steam cleaned my bilge a couple of years ago the "tar" remaining in my bilge from the leaking oil from the generator ended up in the forward bilge pump and switch. The law of unintended consequences at work.

The real problem is when I pulled the wiring bundle apart I had a real problem. The fused wire from the battery (red with brown stripe) was in the bundle live, with a bare end and not attached to anything! The bilge pump and switch were wired into the shower sump and the float switch in the sump. A total amateur POS. They also used electrical tape to hold the whole lot together.

Can anyone tell me the which wire (by color) is supposed to go where to fix this back to normal and safe? I know I have to run the power wire directly from the battery through the float switch to the pump and run the ground through the switch so when it's on standby it's always going to have power as long as the batteries have juice. But what about the sump wiring?

LI Grady

Reaction score
Check out the GW website for a manual on your model. They usually show the wire runs which makes a big differrence.

I went nuts last year with a shore power problem after I popped the circuit until I say down and looked at the diagram....lo and behold a breaker where I least expected it...problem solved

Give it a shot

gerrys

Reaction score
BRN/BLK Fwd Bilge Manual ON - from operators console
BRN/RED Fwd bilge float switch - fused direct run from battery
BRN/ORG Sump Pump - from breaker panel

Since the wires were moved around, I would strongly suggest that you "ring" them out; that is, get a meter or 12 volt bulb and verify the connections and switch operations.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When you get done, and with all battery swicthes turned to OFF, if you hand lift a float, pump should run.