1993 24' Expedition or 1995 26' Islander???

abielecki

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and new to boating!
I am looking to buy my first boat this weekend and it’s between a excellent condition 24' explorer with an Evinrude 225 or a meticulously maintained 1995 26' Islander with a Yamaha 250. I do like the layout of the Islander (its in the water right now) it seems more family friendly (wife and 2 boys, 2 girls 8 to 16 years in age). The 24’Explorer is on a trailer (full transom with a Gradydrive engine bracket and factory swim platform). The Explorer seems wider at the transom and seems like a better fishing boat (?) the Islander seems narrower when looking at it in the water, maybe it’s just an illusion?

Both have hard tops and new surround glass, the Islander has the addition of a factory installed radar and comes with factory outriggers and an auto trim tab unit.

$18k for the Explorer, $20,250 for the Islander. Which would handle offshore fishing better (side by side same conditions)?

Thanks in advance for any comments (please feel free to take some shots at the newbie too!! :?

PS. wife's a bit older, Shhhhh....

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I won't pass judgement on the choice. I will say that the Islander looks narrower for two reasons:
1. it is in the water, instead of on a trailer. they always look bigger on the trailer.
2. it really is narrower... :wink:

Whichever you decide on, I wish you great luck, great fishing - AND A GREAT SURVEY BEFORE THE PURCHASE!

Brian

abielecki

Reaction score
GreatGrady Captain,

Thanks for the reply and the well wishes!

I just found the original brochures on line, the transom width is the same on both boats, 7’10”, however the Beam Amidships is 8’3” on the Explorer and 8’6” for the Islander.
I’m with you though, the Islander looks narrower 

As for the survey, the marina where the boat is offered a compression test for $120 or so but a full survey (out of the water) would gun ~$600.00 ouch!

gradyVT

Reaction score
abielecki,

Just saw that explorer on craigslist, I think. Is out of of Middle river? If you decide to go with the Islander maybe you could shoot me an email about the explorer, let me know how it looks and such. If you decide on the explorer no problem as it is pretty far away for me to check out anyway.
As far as which is better I am not sure as I am looking to purchase my first Grady. I am looking for something in the 23-25 foot range with a trailer. I am in no rush as it seems there are alot of boats out there and it is just a matter of finding a solid boat and motor that is in your price range.
Well good luck

Brian
bturman612@aol.com

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think you will get similar performance from either boat. I had an Explorer 24 back in the day, and it was a great fishing boat, including decent offshore runs. The Islander may be worth the extra 2K, but as Brian has said, get that survey. The boats are 16-18 years old, and while $600 may seem like a lot to you, if that surveyor finds transom rot, corroded fuel tanks and hoses, original scuppers and hoses (which will need to be replaced ASAP), then he will have save you far more than his fee. Whatever he does find, at least you will know the true condition of the vessel, and you can decise to buy it as is, walk away (if the problems found are more than you want to deal with), or re-negotiate the purchase price.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
600 sounds like a lot of money but after my survey was completed (which you may need for insurance as well) I negotiated the purchase price down $2500. I did most of the repairs myself for very little, tightening the bow rail, rebedding some hardware, fixing the head hand pump, changing some light bulbs, re-coring the deck panel, or the seller will fix those items for the sale. Still a winning proposition for the buyer. You probably didn't even know those things were broken. Remember, no boat is perfect, even right out of the factory. The survey will find flaws. By the way I have a 95 islander. Check the hatch covers for delamination, the pulpit and the "trash can" lid, and be sure to have a sounding done on the deck panels. The lift handle allows water to saturate the core. The transom corner trim should also be sealed.

abielecki

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your inputs, the 1995 Islander 26 checked out great. I purchased it last week and ran it in the bay and up/down the coast over the weekend.
All solid and I am very happy with the purchase. Not caught in the survey (It was probably operating ok at the time) the fuel gauge shows full all the time, I'll have to begin a trouble shoot on that.

Does anyone know the best source for Grady parts, i.e. trim, weather seals, all other OEM parts/fittings?

greatwhite300

Reaction score
You most likely need new fuel senders in your tanks. You can buy them at www.wemausa.com. Same ones that you'll get from the grady dealer at about 1/4 the price.

abielecki

Reaction score
Greatwhite300 - Thanks for the info on the fuel sender, I'll give them a call in the morning.

Since I last posted on buying this boat I have pulled of the very well running 250 saltwater series Yamaha and have hung twin new to me 200 HPDI's. I'm in the middle of rigging and its going really well!