1993 exployer gas line re fit

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Im a new owner of a grady and I cant tell you how pumped up Iam.Just got it home so im doing some clean up on it before i put it in the water.I want to replace the hoses going from the tanks to the valve at the stern I see the hoses go up under the floor panels to the tanks before I take the covers off is there any advice.Will this job be as straight forward as to take covers off then the hoses can be easily taken out to be replaced?

Thank for any help I love this site!!!!!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 3/8" lines should be relatively easy, the fill line may be a nightmare.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Thanks for the response just so I understand it I pull the covers and the hoses should be able to be pulled up? I guess they run right beside the tanks? never seen pics with the covers off. Thanks again

Paul billydoos fishing and echo tours

richie rich

Reaction score
the small lines lay right on top of the tanks, go thru the rear bulhead and to the valves.......fairly easy....the fill hose is much tougher......need long, skinny arms

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
After you replace the hoses, (and check the condition of the tanks for pitting), when you re-install the deck, you can make a factory-neat caulk seam by laying down blue painter's tape on each side of the gap. Push the caulk gun along (forces the caulk down), and let it set until nearly cured. Remove the tape for a perfect job.

You also should check your scuppers and hoses. They may be dry-rotted, and soon to fail. Might as well change them while you're at it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum; enjoy your new boat.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Thanks captain bill for your message I dont really know what a scupper is Ive never heard this tearm used before?? i appreciate the tips on the caulking!!! thanks again paul

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt Bill, he may have to get the tanks out to check for galvanic corrosion, well, at least the bottom half of the tank anyway.

If it was me on the '93, I would, and replace the fuel senders with WEMA units, and dump out any remaining fuel. If the tank condition was borderline on the corrosion, would order a new tank(s) and do the job after the season ends. Might even get rid of the troublesome anti-siphon valves.

If the boat doesn't have racors or equal, would add them too.
Then do the fill and vent lines another season end.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Thanks for the message Bob,I will be taking the tanks out this winter after the season I dont want to open a can of worms while the sun is out and the fish salmon-halibut are biteing.I will get a raycor filter system that ones on the list,I just got this boat so Im learning everyday about it,still alot to take in so steady as she goes.I have to mount my kicker bracket and wire my electrics so off i go take care tight lines!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sounds good,

in that case, I would not bother with the fuel lnes now, you have to do the deck removal all over again and recut and pehaps lengthen some the lines to work in the racors. And teh deck work takes longer than the lines, so why not hold off? - if you don't smell any gas around, it is not likely something will happen between now and end of season on the 16 yr old new boat!

And besides, if a can or worns is uncovered with the deck off, why find out about it now?

Have fun instead.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Hey captain Bob

Thanks for all the help,my new 16 year old boat thats funny,I just meant its new to me,considering it only has 342 hours on the whole boat and motor it hasnt been used to much so Im happy with the purchase.its very hard to find a good grady up here in vancouver in this good of shape,not to mention the price i got it for in texas so im pumped!!!! If you ever need a fishing guide in vancouver canada let me know I usually spen most of the summer on the west coast of vancouver island true paradice over there not to mention awesome fishing!! take good boating and tight lines to ya all!!!

Paul

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nothing old about 16 yrs, Gradys are on the water from the 70's and plenty of 80's out there.