1993 GRADY-WHITE 252G Sailfish with F150s??

Fishon02

Reaction score
I am in the process of looking to purchase a 1992-1993 252G. What are the 252G owners opinions on this boat being under powered or not for fishing no more than a captain +2 people, gear and ice offshore on a regular basis. Our big concern in Texas is range and GPH at the sweet spot for RPM/KNOTS. A short trip offshore is 30-50 miles one way, with the longest overnight runs being 125 miles one way. My gut tells me that the 252G needs at least a pair of 200 HP four strokes or 175 HP two strokes.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1993- ... h-97330050

Please don't comment that 125 miles offshore in a 25ft boat is not advisable, because it is common place here in 24-34ft offshore style boats, and yes we use EPIRBs, DSC, float plans, offshore life rafts, twin engine boats, and never run that far if the seas and weather are close to questionable.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd say 175's (Zuke) are the min. If you want to go that far, the Dolphin has a larger reserve tank than a Sailfish but you loose the rear bunk. Either way a bladder may also be needed for safety factor. With decent seas, 1.5 MPG is quite doable but if things get snotty, you're looking at 1 MPG.

richmake

Reaction score
I've got the same boat with twin 200 4 stroke zukes and they are awesome on that hull
I'd think that the 150's might be underpowered

Gary M

Reaction score
Ironically, we bought our 1994 252 from the same dealer, Vero Marine Center back in 2002. It had 225 Ocean Pros which is the max for that hull. The boat you are looking at looks very clean and with the newer F150s it should hold it's value well. Having said that, I would guess that it's not a real speed demon and all loaded up, it might be underpowered.

I would suggest that you call VMC, ask for Brian and tell him that Gary M sent you (we have bought all three Gradys from him and I know him well) and ask him how it runs. If he/they have not run the boat, perhaps he can put you in contact with the previous/current owner and you can ask him about performance, mileage, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted!!