1993 johnson 225 hp fuel vacumn sensor

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Hello

I took my boat out and its giving me a horn signal at or near full speed.We have narrowed it down to a vacumn sensor near the vro the brown wired plug.Has anyone ever had problems with this sensor could use some help. thanks Paul

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
High vacuum means there is a fuel restriction from that point towards boat fuel system. which can result in too lean a fuel mix and wreck motor.

Get it checked out.

Seahunter

Reaction score
That sensor is almost to simple to fail. Pull the sensor out and test per procedure in the manual. The circuit should be normally open in its normal condition. Suck on the end (create a vacuum) and the circuit should close.

As Bob stated, the sensor is probably working and it just doing its job signally that you have a fuel restriction. I traced mine all the way back to the pick-up in the tank.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
HI guys

Thanks for the advice we are going to replace the sensor and see if that changes.I took both tanks out this winter and ran new hoses,racor filters,with quick connects in line so if I have a problem with one tank I can use the other one immeditaly.Each motor has its completely seperate fuel system.Im wondering if it could be the anti-syphon valve connected to the pick up was this your problem with the pick up tube?? Hope everyone has a safe summer,ill keep you informed on my progress.

Paul

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don't waste money on sensor yet.

You can connect a portable fuel tank directly to motor to test the sensor.

No alarm means boat fuel system is the culprit.

Suggest you look at anti-siphon valves in fuel tank pickups/fittings.

At the near exact time the alarm sounds, what condition is the squeeze bulb in? Fully shaped of partially collapsed?

You can also get a vacuum gage and T connect to motor fuel line inlet nearest to motor to see if excess vacuum. Owners manual has spec max fuel system vaccum.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Hi captain Bob

Im going to take it for a run here in the next few days and do exactly what u said use a day tank then go from there.I have brand new anti syphon valves in the tanks now but with my luck its faulty.I bought a 12 inch gps wired my boat radar the whole sha bang and wouldnt you know it the 12 gps monitor,brand new was no good!!! Just my luck its like a curse been happening all my life lol.Ill let you know what happenes.

Paul

shadow379

Reaction score
fuel sensor

Read the Johnson owners manual its available online, it has a section related to anti-siphon valve restrictions on these models. I learned the hard way after melting one down. Hope this helps.

Reel Quick

Reaction score
Clog in fuel PU tube..Haunted me for 2 years ,,,easy fix.Clean the screen.Hope it works for you!!!! I was ready to sink my boat. All better now.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Hey guys

I changed out the anti-syphon valve and changed the sensor is was very discolored,took it out for a big trial rum over to the island everything woked out great thanks for the replys have a safe boating summer!!!

Paul

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Glad to hear it when a (DIYer) plan comes together !

Periiodically, have someone look at the fuel primer squeeze bulb while you are dropping the hammer to get on plane, the bulb should stay fully shaped and not compress at all.

I had this issue and traced it to anti-siphon valves, ironicaly of the four pickups total, two were removed prior, the two that remained were the culprits causing the problem.

I opted to eliminate them from the tank fittings altogether.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Hi captain Bob

I did exactally what you said I removed the anti-syphon valves and ran a elbow seems to work great hope you have a great summer fish on and tight lines.

Captain Billy