1993 johnson 225 v6 problems need advice

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Hello

I have a johnson 225 v6 1993 and what is haoppening is that after I run it for say 15-20 min it goes in to limp mode or slow down mode.Ive had the water pump changed,the vro changed yet still I have this problem,has anyone encontered this before I know its an older motor but it only has 334 hrs on it and I had the heads off and the cylinders walls are spotless.Has anyone ever had a bad overheat sensor?? just looking for similar problems thanks for anyone who reads this post.Have a great day tight lines!!!

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Johnson

I have a 93 Johnson 175hp on my Wellcraft CC. I was having issues with fuel that caused the engine to run poorly after 20 or 30 minutes of running. Your doesnt sound like fuel but you never know. When this would happen I would take off the fuel water seperater and dump in a bucket. Put back on and it ran fine. I found out I had a dirty old gas tank so i put a new tank in over the winter and no problems this season, its running great.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does sound like fuel starvation. Is there a clean jumbo inline filter on it? Might take the old one and cut it in half to see if it's full of debris from an old tank.

Another good test is to hook up a portable tank with clear clean fuel and see if you have the same problem. If not you know it's your tank/lines, etc.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is the motor overheating?
Put your hand on the heads adjacent to plugs, can you keep you hand there for a time? (shut mtor off first). If so, it is not overheating.

The temp sensor can be tested to see if resistance is correct with ohmeter, per service manual.

Limp mode is what you mean by an rpm limiter to protect motor from overheat damage, correct?
It does it electronically by ignition timing control, not by fuel adjustments. I think it limits it to 1500 RPM.

Does the squeeze bulb stay shaped or is it collapsed at the exact moment in time this occurs?

Do you have a spare powerpak? If so, swap it out and see if it still occurs.

Does motor run smoothly in limp mode, of it is rough running.

All all 6 plugs firing, or only 3 (one bank)

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
motor limp mode

Thanks for the replys everyone its greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!! I got the thermostats,water pump and sesor changed ansd the problem seems to be fixed,was off shore last week fishing for halibut and salmon had an awesome day 4 nice halis and 14 salmon anyone interested in coming up to vancouver island in bc canada email me at bulldogbilly@hotmail.com tight lines everybody and follow conservation so there are fish stocks for future generations!

Paul