1993 to 1994 Dolphin Max Power Change

sraab928

Reaction score
I was looking over the brochures and noticed that in 1994 they raised the maximum horsepower to 450 from 400 on the Dolphin with the Grady Drive. It appears to be the same boat as the 92 & 93 - Does anyone know if they made changes to accommodate the additional 50hp or whether they just bumped it for some marketing reason- I always felt like 400 is a bit light for these hulls and found the change curious.

I was gonna call and ask customer service but I figured I would see if anyone here had already bugged them with this.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What a mess s topic like this stirred up a few months ago.

Yea it was probably just marketing since the euro hulled Sailfish had 450 max, the bracket got bumped to 450. A call to Grady to see if anything else was changed could clean up a lot.

Quite a few Marlins came with 225's and they're quite a bit more boat than a Sailfish/Dolphin.

sraab928

Reaction score
I did read a post about a Sailfish with 450 hp on it and the pissing match that it started -I certainly dont want to do that here.

Maybe I missed the part where there was a discussion of the 1994 model year change for Dolphin HP - In 1994 the Sailfish became Euro transom but the Dolphin kept the bracket and then disappeared in 1995. I guess it peaked my curiousity more than anything as a Dolphin owner. I love my boat but really feel it could use some more oomph.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's interesting you are saying the 94 Dolphin with a Grady Drive is rated 450HP.

I thought the days of Grady Drives ended in 1993 for the Sailfish (Dolphin too).

I doubt Grady will know, it was a long time ago.

I do know the 1993 Grady Drive on GW204 Brian's Sailfish is a different design and possibly a different manufacturer than my 1992 Springfield drive.

In my opinion, the full transom and wide massive twin Grady drive creates an incredibly strong stern vs. and cutout sterns and short euro drives. I would have no issue adding 50 HP to mine, given similar weight.

Further, I bet Brian's drive was upgraded in strength to handle 450 vs. 400 as mine, and not a change to the transom or it's attachments to the rest of the boat was involved. The mystery solved ??

If anyone wants to go back at it on the Sailfish/Dolphin Grady drive HP rating, I'm in!
Just the last time I was at the boat, had a coast guard auxil safety inspection done, they wanted to see the hull plate among other things, I said there it is go ahead , I asked why. They wanted to see the plate for "PEOPLE/LOAD CAPACITY". That's it, read it and weep!

sraab928

Reaction score
I didnt realize they changed the drive bracket - its hard to tell by the brochure pictures - it looked the same to me but what do I know.

Here are the pages from the 94 Brochure showing the Dolphin With Grady Drive and 450 hp rating...

Snapshot2008-06-1806-27-06.jpg

Snapshot2008-06-1806-27-57.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Check out the water height issue, same boat hull as mine, 200 +lb heavier engine load.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The other issue, just came to mind, Fs require 29 in. centerlines on the twins, all other engines incl 4 strokes except yamaha require conventional 26 in centerlines and drillings. I wonder if that bracket is drilled for 27s or 29s. Seems to me it would be 26. in 1994, no such F engine for many years in the future.

See if engines contact on turns and tilt.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
S928, look at the for sale photos, see the motors bolt to heavy angles?

What you don't see, the box has inside flange bolts so there are no longer bolt head to see around the sides and bottom of the drive from the outside, the way it is today on new Gulf and 22ft drives.