1993 Tournament 223 Helm Seat Pedestal

Gringo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
Hello everybody, Im new here but was hoping you could help. I have been trying to figure out how to find attachment plates/swivels for new seats that will mount to these pedestals. See pictures attached. I believe they are the originals but am not sure if they were modified or cut by the previous owner. It looks as if the outer diameter is about 3 inches was wondering if anyone else has run into this before? I have tried to use the standard 2 7/8” but they do not fit.

I guess if I have to I will buy a whole new set but just thought why change these pedestals out if I can make them work. I have reached out to pompanette but haven’t heard anything back yet. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4511.jpeg
    IMG_4511.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4507.jpeg
    IMG_4507.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4508.jpeg
    IMG_4508.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4509.jpeg
    IMG_4509.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

seasick

Reaction score
Are you saying that the outer diameter of the pedestals is not 2 7/8 inch?
That tape measure you show is not betting used correctly.
Pick a number like 1 inch on the tape and use that lined up with the outer edge. Now note where the opposing outer edge of the pipe lines up on the tape. It should be at 3 7/8inches.
Post a picture.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Try Springfield Manufacturing directly of find some of their products.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This. For example, in your third pic, you should be pulling tight against the hook.

I know you said you physically tried some some spiders, but maybe something was amiss there as well?

On the other hand... why not just use your existing spider/slider with the new seats?

Gringo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
Pick a number like 1 inch on the tape and use that lined up with the outer edge. Now note where the opposing outer edge of the pipe lines up on the tape. It should be at 3 7/8inches.
Post a picture.
Post a picture.
Yes the outer diameter and You were right! The tape measure or myself was off. Measured again with my wood measure to confirm.

Now I just gotta figure out why the bracket doesn’t fit, maybe just a smaller one than what I need. Hard to know as this is what was in the boat. It was rigged with a pvc piece inside so it could sit together but bounced around a lot. Not sure why the guy did that and I will never know.
thanks for replying.

Attachments

• IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4514.jpeg
    IMG_4514.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Gringo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
Try Springfield Manufacturing directly of find some of their products.
The bracket the guy had on is a Springfield and the diameter matches pretty closely so maybe it’s the wrong size. Will look more at there catalog.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The bracket the guy had on is a Springfield and the diameter matches pretty closely so maybe it’s the wrong size. Will look more at there catalog.
There is a nylon bushing that goes inside the seat and over the post. Frequently they deteriorate and fall out. Maybe that is what you have.

Gringo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
This. For example, in your third pic, you should be pulling tight against the hook.

I know you said you physically tried some some spiders, but maybe something was amiss there as well?

On the other hand... why not just use your existing spider/slider with the new seats?
Unfortunately I’m just trying to fix the incorrect spiders from the previous owner. The original chair and spider are gone and I am not sure why. he had connected the spider and pedestal with a pvc piece, was terrible but easy to remove which is the only benefit I could see in it. What was most confusing to me is that the Springfield spider and the pedestal look like the same outer diameter. Maybe it’s just simply the spider was a smaller size. I will order a 2 7/8” spider to see if that works.

Thanks everybody for writing. Hopefully it’s just that simple.

Attachments

• IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4514.jpeg
    IMG_4514.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You have the wrong base.
Post is 2 7/8" outside diameter. Spyder is 2 5/8"inside diameter.
Bushing is 1/8" thick so 2 5/8 + 1/8" +1/8" = 2 7/8" You need a Spyder with a 2 7/8" inside diameter base and a bushing.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Unfortunately I’m just trying to fix the incorrect spiders from the previous owner. The original chair and spider are gone and I am not sure why. he had connected the spider and pedestal with a pvc piece, was terrible but easy to remove which is the only benefit I could see in it. What was most confusing to me is that the Springfield spider and the pedestal look like the same outer diameter. Maybe it’s just simply the spider was a smaller size. I will order a 2 7/8” spider to see if that works.

Thanks everybody for writing. Hopefully it’s just that simple.
Remind me not to ask you to build anything that requires at least semi-accurate measurements! :)

Now, I'm admittedly not quite following what your dilemma is, but...

-- Regarding the pictures in your post #8... it seems as though you are comparing the OD of the post to the OD of the spider?

-- Also... the spider pic in post #8 is for a smaller post.

Again, I may be misinterpreting what you're saying/asking?

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh... wait... I THINK YOU ARE SAYING:

-- The previous owner had a length of PVC pipe that fit INSIDE both the post and the spider?
-- Was probably a 2" PVC pipe?

If that's the case... my guess is that at some point he replaced the original/old spider with that newer one (and he chose a cheap on... ahem, I mean "inexpensive") but it was smaller so he improvised.

YES: Order the proper spider - make sure it comes with (or buy separately) the plastic cup (bushing). The project will then be "done" :)

Gringo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
Oh... wait... I THINK YOU ARE SAYING:

-- The previous owner had a length of PVC pipe that fit INSIDE both the post and the spider?
-- Was probably a 2" PVC pipe?

If that's the case... my guess is that at some point he replaced the original/old spider with that newer one (and he chose a cheap on... ahem, I mean "inexpensive") but it was smaller so he improvised.

YES: Order the proper spider - make sure it comes with (or buy separately) the plastic cup (bushing). The project will then be "done" :)
Yes the previous owner is definitely throwing me off with this whole thing. And sorry about the measurements, although I’m definitely an idiot most of the time I tried my best to take the photos in the right way to shiw the measurements but it was harder than I thought. Even some of the pics I thought were right came out somewhat off/distorted in my iPhone showing a little different than what my eye could see. Not sure why.

But yes I think you’re totally right that it’s the wrong size. I didn’t realize there were 2 3/8” posts that are commonly used as well. Already ordered a new Springfield 2 7/8” to put on and will let you all know if that solves it. It gets here TOMORROW from Amazon. Nuts!

I can’t figure out why this guy would buy the wrong brackets and not just return them?! Instead he made some weird pvc tube extension that fits like crap!

anyways will update tomorrow. Thank you all for taking the time to respond

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can’t figure out why this guy would buy the wrong brackets and not just return them?! Instead he made some weird pvc tube extension that fits like crap!
Hard to say. Welcome to what I like to call the "POS"... Previous Owner Syndrome :)

That spider is a very inexpensive one meant for freshwater. The paint will relatively quickly flake off and the cheap metal underneath will corrode. The reason he used that could have been just that... cheap. Or maybe he had it already laying around... Or maybe he bought the wrong thing and just decided to "make it work". Only the Shadow knows what lurks in the mind of a... dum dum dum... previous owner!

Gringo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
Hahaha POS! So the new bracket arrived today and it fits. Wow that was easy! Thank you all so much!