1993 Tournament 225G Repower

ReelFaith

Reaction score
Just bought this 1993 Grady 22 Tournament with the Gil Bracket and full swim platform. Has the original 1993 Yamaha 225 and seems to run good. When I Repower I would like to get another Yamaha. I would like as much horsepower as possible. This boat is rated at 225 max. I would like to run a 250 or 300 Yamaha 4 stroke.any thoughts from the group if the bracket could hold these bigger motors? Think I could still get it insured? Thanks for your help.

Reelman5703

Reaction score
I have a 94 226seafarer and upgraded a few years ago. Make sure your transom can hold the weight, have a mechanic check it out for you with moisture meter and they can put stress on it. Unless you go with one that is post 2012 I believe, the 4 strokes are about 100-125 pounds more than a 2 stroke. They trimmed a lot of the weight don in 12 I think. A good test is have someone who weighs around 100 stand close to engine and see how it sits in the water with the extra weight.

I went from a 2000 225 optimax to a yamaha 2008 225 4 stroke. 95 pound difference if I recall. Extra HP balanced extra weight speed wise. My boat did sit about 2" lower in rear though. I used the ball scuppers to offset that problem a bit, but they need attention, barnacles grow in there.

This year, I took my 96 gallon main tank out and replaced it with a 56 gallon upfront where it was plumbed for the auxiliary 56 gallon tank. (plenty of range for me). BIG difference in the weight distribution and she sits much better now in the water. I feel 1000 times more comfortable now. FYI-I had a storage box made 63"LX18"WX20"D made to fit into where the old tank was, storage is not such a problem anymore and a much less cluttered deck.