1993 YAMAHA 150 Reliability

Biscayne208

Reaction score
Hey guys my new to me boat has a 1993 Yammi 150 on it. Do any of you have this motor on a 208 or 209 and how well has it worked out for you? I had a 1994 115 Yammi on my old Hewes flats boat and it was bulletproof.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Bama96

Reaction score
The motor is 17 years old. I think it has been pretty darn reliable. A motor that old could go poof on any trip however you can't kill those older carbed Hammers. The death of them are usually corrosion or fuel issues. E10. Tune her up with a carb job, new fluids, fuel line/primer bulb. I would also be concerned over the oil injection system. You may consider mixing your oil and gas. My buddy lost an old Evinrude due to the pump going out.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Clean out the oil tank and change the filter. If the filter gets clogged it'll run down the run tank and set you to idle mode or possiblty worse. The oil system is really good if it's set up right and maintained.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yea the oil systems on the older 2 storkes really scares me, I knew on my old real old moror I had oil because I always put it in with the gas, but on these carbed 10+yr old 2 stokes, I am relying on an idiot light and a horn to warn me.
I do make it a purpose tio test this system as often as I can, but not sure if i should just add oil to the tank at this point and remove vro. in all reality as long as the motor has been cared for should give you many more years of service.

phazzard

Reaction score
I've got a '93 208 with the 2S Yamaha 150 and it has been a solid setup for me. Had some major E10-related issues last year, but seem to be out of the woods after pumping 60 gal of bad fuel out and installing a racor water separating filter. Going in the water tomorrow, so I hope this vote of confidence is warranted