1994 226 Seafarer Re-Power with 4-stroke

Gamecock99

Reaction score
Hello GW Forum - new to this site, I've researched in the forum, but couldn't find - apologies if this has been asked. just send me a link.

My Seafarer needs a re-power, my 2000 2-Stroke ocean pro has died. I'm looking at the DF250 Suzuki or the Yamaha F250XCA. Has anyone with a 1993-1999 Seafarer recently repower with either of these motors. I'd like to see pictures and any read any 1st hand accounts of experiences with either.

I've called Grady and have already simulated weight using sand bags. Mechanic is removing 15hp kicker motor, and looking into removing main and aux tanks since they are original, then installing new single tank shifted more forward away from the transom.

thanks - Gamecock99

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You might want to look into the new Mercury V6 engines that just came out. The new 225 hp only weights 475 lb with the 20" shaft. They don't list the weight of the 25" shaft engine, but it can't be too much more. They are the lightest 4 strokes available at that hp level.

While they are new models, they are based in the simple robust design of their 150 hp 4 strokes. These engines have been nearly bulletproof. My guide buddies love them and one just put his up for sale with 3900 hr and still running fine.

UCPA111

Reaction score
You can checkout my seafarer restoration videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATvLu ... RX0gH9FiMQ I replaced fuel tank and moved forward. I also installed an oversize flotation bracket.
I am having a 300hp Verado installed. Almost done! I have to paint the deck, install rod holders, do some wiring and replace the Grady lettering on the starboard side. Getting pumped to see what a 300 hp Verado does on this boat! Will I cruise at 30mph? Will I break 3+mpg? Will I hit 50 at top end? We shall see!

Attachments

• IMG955085.jpg
    IMG955085.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 284

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I repowered last summer with the 4.2 liter 250. Love it. I am intrigued by the Mercury line up. I can't say enough about the 4.2. the digital throttle is awesome.

If you have a nearby Suzuki dealer and service center you need to give those a look. There is a lot of great things said about them.

My seafarer gets 3.2 mpg and it cruises sweetly around 3800 RPM doing 29-30 with the new motor. You should do well with the VROD. However, I got up around 46 on the flatwater of the lake. I can't see seafarer doing 55. Maybe it will.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I'll happy if I get 3 mpg and a 30 mph cruise. I am really not as concerned about breaking 50mph...but it seems this will be a unique combination. I look forward to the results and sharing them. Having 300 hp was really to provide peace of mind if I need the hp in a bad Lake Erie blow.

Mine is one of the last supercharged 300's made it seems. I ordered in February and it just arrived. They just announced the new model V8 mercs. I am not eager to be a guineau pig, but very interested to learn more about the V8s. Competition amongst Yamaha, Mercury and others benefits us!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Yah,I think when one outboard company develops new tech it forces others to answer. I always find it interesting how some guys are so defensive about their motor choices. You see it on the internet especially between Yamaha, Mercury and Evinrude. Get 3 of those die hard fans in a room and it is honestly easier to solve the North Korea nuke issue than to get those guys to admit something positive about another brand that's not hanging on their stern. Lol