1994 Adventurer 208 w/ Johnson 200 fuel consumption estimate

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Guys-

I am wondering what I should expect for fuel usage for my vessel.

a little background-

I purchased this boat last week. The owner told me there was about 1/4 of a tank in it. My old boat had about 20 gallons in it so I decided to transfer some over. After about 10 gallons (using a 5 gallon jug) it started overflowing. I thought at first there might be air in the fuel tank vent line, my old boat was real bad for this. But after letting it sit a few minutes I could look down the filler neck and see the fuel level so I am pretty sure its full.

I contacted the previous owner and he said, yes, its probably full. After thinking about it. He filled it up last fall and had about a 2-3 hr run. Then he ran it last week for about 45 mins to make sure it ran fine before selling it to me. He had bought a larger Grady and this one was not used since his cruise last fall.

So, we are thinking the sending unit is messed up and it was really full. Very glad to hear this wit hthe price of gas! I can deal with the gauge issue easy enough.

So on my maiden voylage on Tues, we ran about 20 miles round trip, I never got it above 3500 rpm. I thoght a great test for fuel usage would be now to fill it up again and see how much fuel it used.

The stations by my house are cramped so I used filled up 5 gallon cans and emptied then in the boat while in my drive. So far I have put 15 gallons in it and its not full yet. I would have thought that it would be by now.

So my question is, what kind of fuel usage are you guys seeing with this motor?

Maybe the tank was not full first time that I filled it, I dont know. I am installing my old electronics, a Lowrance 28c hd with the fuel flow sensor so I will know for sure whats going on and will get around to fixing the sending unit here shortly.

Just wondering what others are getting with this engine. 1994 Johnson 2 stroke Ocean Runner.

thanks

dlevitt

Reaction score
I have a '93 Evinrude 200 OceanPro. I just installed a navman fuel meter and seem to burn between 10 and 11 Gallons/hour at 4000 RPM. I am going about 22 MPH, so I get about 2 MPG. My boat is a 22 foot grady so you should do a little better.

I'm having some minor issues, so I'm not sure if the engine should run even more efficient than this. At the very least, this should give you an idea.

David

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
thanks for the reply.

Seems I am getting close to what you are. After installing the fuel flow sensor, I get about 10-11 gph at 22 mph. I did not run it a lot so I am not quite sure but this figures to be in the same ballpark as the feedback I have been getting on this motor from the different message boards.