1994 Grady Explorer Gas Tank

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
7-31-22 Just emptied 90 gallons of suspect fuel in my 28 year old stainless steel gas tank. I was having "engine pausing" problems in my 2014 I/O 350 Magnum Fuel Injection Engine. The Provider installed a new fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. He indicated that the old regulator was showing say 75 pressure whereby it should only be 45. The engine only has 68 hours on it.

Should I have the tank cleaned and if so what is the best method?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Original tank would be Al, not SS. Is yours actually SS?

"Suspect" fuel... since you just emptied it, what did it look like? Get in there with a scope and check it out. It might be just fine... or maybe not. But check it out and see for sure. But if you were running a good fuel/water separator - which you probably were considering the newer Merc engine - then that would have caught most of the crap (if there was any). When you drained the F/W sep, what did the fuel look like there, as well? What does the exterior of tank look like? Any suspect areas that could turn into pinholes in short time? Pull the floor panel to give it a good look - it's possible you're due for a replacement.