1994 Grady White Sailfish with Honda 225 4 strokes

amr72

Reaction score
I am interested in this boat but I am worried about the weight of the Hondas on the transom. Also was the 1994 model rated for 400 or 450hp?
Any opinions on whether this setup would be a problem? I know the Hondas are great motors, and I would have the boat surveyed prior to closing the deal, but I don't want to waste my time if this is a problem waiting to happen. Thanks.

Anthony

jehines3

Reaction score
My coworker has the identical boat with identical engines. He swears his transom had problems before the four strokes, but he wound up with a large transom project with the Hondas. He loves the motors and has had allot of trouble free use on them. I'd definitly do a very thorough transom survey.

Pics of the repair are at:
http://www.compositeyacht.biz/GradyWhiteProject.html

If you want I can get his fuel and speed numbers and post them. The hull was rated for 400HP according to the GW manual on their site.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To answer the weight question, call Grady and ask them what the max weight for a repower on a 1994 sailfish is. I have a feeling you are close to or possibly over the max, but not sure by how much. If it is close, take a peak at the boat and see how it sits. If it sits low with full fuel and thru hulls and scuppers are partially submerged, that is not how you want it. I would not recommend buying a boat if engines are over max rated by Grady, but I have seen some bracketed boats that were not affected as badly. Another concern, especially with adding more weight, is the transom, check it is in good condition, with that extra weight it is even more important. Also, is it a bracket boat or a notched transom, notched transoms have had more issues with repowers and added weight, but that does not mean a bracketed boat will not either. Some think that since the transom is closed there is no concern, but the real concern is the deck and thru hull heights to the water, if the deck cannot drain properly, it is no good nor is it safe. Check with Grady, see how close those engines are to max, if it is close, proceed with caution and take a peak at the boat with a heavy fuel load, if it is light on fuel, put a few guys in the cockpit to simulate the added weight of fuel. If you see water covering thru hulls or scuppers, I'd walk away, if not it is your call and depends on what you feel safe with. Like you had stated, regardless of what you decide, have a surveyor check it out and see what they find, a good reputable surveyor will let you know it is not sitting properly in the water and is a concern, but not all do. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
People love the 225 Honda's but they're HEAVY. I'm not sure about the 94 Sailfish but the earlier versions have the scuppers wet with full tanks and 2 strokes. It may be a good combo but I'd proceed with extreme caution and definitely do a sea trial.