1994 Gulfstream upgrade from single 250 to single Suzuki 350 4 stroke

GS2321994

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Does any one have any experience with upgrading 1994 Gulf stream a single 250 with a bracket to single Suzuki 350 4 stroke
I spoke with Grady and they feel the engine is to heavy/powerful for the transom on pre 2007 Gulfstreams.
Thanks

Steve

seasick

Reaction score
If the Grady folks think the motor would be too heavy and powerful, I would tend to believe them. What is the HP rating on that hull and what is the added weight for the repower? Is the 250, a 2 stroke?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree. If mother Grady told you that, well, they are the experts! Adding extra weight to a transom that wasn't originally designed/rated for it oversteps the manufacturer's spec. That's not to say that you WILL have an issue, but that's a chance you'll have to take. Even if you find a few people out there in internet land that have done it and say "I did it and have had no problems", doesn't mean they won't have an issue. They just may not have had one, yet. Another factor is the current condition of your transom. The boat is a quarter century old, after all. Assuming the transom is fine because it "looks" fine is not enough.

However, an interesting idea to discuss would be adding a twin bracket and reinforcing the inside of the transom to the stringers. This would spread the load of the extra weight and torque over a much larger area. And, of course, getting the transom professionally checked.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check your insurance as well. You may be in a pickle for over powering if there ever was a claim situation.

GS2321994

Reaction score
Check your insurance as well. You may be in a pickle for over powering if there ever was a claim situation.
Thanks guys for your input. When I spoke with Grady they told me the largest motor I could use is a 300 hp 4 stroke the sticker on the Hull rates it for 300Hp max. I saw the guy selling his 2004 with the 350 Suzuki I was wondering if he did anything to modify his boat to except the larger engine. And yes I understand about the insurance issue one dealer I called told me told me they don’t put on anything larger than the max allowed by the manufacturer allows.