1994 SeaStar1 Helm Leaking

Seafarer228_G

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have a 1994 228g and Seastar 1 helm that started leaking last year. Talked to seastar and purchased a gasket kit but it's the wrong kit. Since this part is almost 30 years old figured I might have more luck here. All of the seastar helms I've seen (including the gasket Seastar sent me) have you take off the weel and then there's a round plate held on by three screws with a gasket underneath that you can replace. I haven't seen other helms like the one I have and have found zero documentation on mine so not sure how to replace the seal. Would like to keep the original helm if possible. WIth the exception of this slow leak everything works perfectly. There is some play in the cylinder that the steering wheel sits on side to side but doesn't seem to be an issue. Any advice? If I did replace the helm can I leave all the cabling the same? I assume I'm looking at $600-800 to replace the helm at minimum?

IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2417.jpg

Seafarer228_G

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You have a tilt assembly. That has to come off to get to the helm shaft gasket.
Ahh, thanks for the input, that makes more sense! Do you or anyone know the name of this helm or the original helm that comes with the 1994 grady seafarer 228g? Trying to find a seal kit on amazon that would work. Could be the HH5741, hh6189, etc. Will give Grady a call in the morning too but they don't seem to know much about these older boats.

Found a super helpful video here:

Last edited:

Seafarer228_G

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
According to seastar (teleflex) the helm kit I need is #HS5151. Purchased the kit and will replace seals this weekend.