1995 208 fish/cooler box friction hinge

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My 1995 208 adventure does not have the upgraded spring hinges like the newer ones and I would like to prevent them from getting chipped (already re-gel coated once) I am considering replacing with friction hinges. My only concern is that they will not be strong enough to hold up the heavy lid. Do you think the below would do the trick?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Even if they work at the start, I'd think they would lose their resistance over time a bit. Couple that with the weight of the lid and you could have some trouble. Why not look into the gas openers?

Fishtales

Reaction score

Thread that may help. Fairly easy install.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Agree with the above. I've only ever seen friction hinges used on plexiglass type things (gauge covers). I would use either a gas spring or even just a stainless support spring. The latter is probably the simplest solution - although the gas springs are a nicer option and you won't accidentally close the hatch on your head if you happen to bump the spring :) The gas springs prevent the lid from slamming shut, too. If you use the gas springs, though, you'll also need to add some mechanical means of securing it closed (which is easy to do, of course).