1995 27' Sailfish Generator Question

islandfly

Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a 1995 27' Sailfish. It has no generator but it does air cond, microwave, refrig, and other various accesories. Is there anyone on this forum that is using a portable generator (Honda) and pluging it into their shore power connection & using generator to run accesories. I will be using the vessel for extensive offshore overnight runs to the Gulf of Mexico so the generator issue is an important one for me.

Any suggestions or advice personal knowledge in this area will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Capt. Rolando A. Reyes
"Someday Came Charters"
Indian Rocks Bch, Florida
email: Chartercaptain@tampabay.rr.com

seasick

Reaction score
I auume you intend to use the generator off the boat. There are a few issues. The first one is carbon monoxide. Since CO is heavier than air it will seek lower places like your cabin. Depending on the wind and the generator's location, you could be at risk. I suspect that most marina's wouldn't allow portable generators since they pose a risk to you and to neighboring vessels.
Secondly, since you have to store it on the boat between ports, there is a risk from gasoline vapors. The fuel systems on these portable units are not sealed so vapors will be vented. In rough seas, liquid fuel might be spilled.
Your safe bet is to skip the generator idea and dock where shore power is available.

Don't ever use a portable generator on the vessel either on deck or god forbid, below deck. That would be suicide.

ahill

Reaction score
I have a Honda 2000 I've used on my Sailfish since 2006.
It is transported on the aft deck in front of the livewell. I also have an auxilliary 6 gal tank mfg by Duration tanks.
Never had a fuel vapor problem or spill. I set the generator on the starboard side transom platform with the exhaust facing aft. I also run a CO sensor in the cabin, low to floor, and it has never sounded.
I don't have a micro or water heater. It runs 5,000 BTU A/C and charger on eco setting.

islandfly

Reaction score
Thanks for information.. the generator would only be used while on a trip in the Gulf of Mexico, never at my dock I have shore power there. Preciate all the input.

Thanks,

Capt. R. Reyes

ahill

Reaction score
BTW, I put non skid foam under the gen & tank. Keeps walking down & the deck free of black foot marks.