1995 272 Sailfish

fellinger

Reaction score
Good evening. I am considering purchasing a friend's 1995 GW 272 Sailfish rigged with twin 200 Johnson Ocean Pros (carbbed). The motors have between 300-600 hours on them and have never had any major problems. Yearly maint is performed by a reputable mechanic. He is offering the boat for $15k. The boat shows some age but, has no cracks or soft spots. Outside cushions could use a cleaning and/or replacing and the cabin is pretty mint. He has owned the boat for the last 5 years and it mostly got bay use.

My questions...

- Is the price fair?
- What do I need to know about this model year GW?
- What should I expect as fuel burn rate with these motors? I was thinking 1.5mpg total??
- Are these engines known to be work horses or duds?

Any other information, advice, or experiences would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Fred

Finatic

Reaction score
That seems like a pretty fair price if everything is as stated. I doubt though that the carbed engines will give you 1.5mpg. Hopefully someone else can provide some real world numbers. Good luck.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
fellinger said:
Good evening. I am considering purchasing a friend's 1995 GW 272 Sailfish rigged with twin 200 Johnson Ocean Pros (carbbed). The motors have between 300-600 hours on them and have never had any major problems. Yearly maint is performed by a reputable mechanic. He is offering the boat for $15k. The boat shows some age but, has no cracks or soft spots. Outside cushions could use a cleaning and/or replacing and the cabin is pretty mint. He has owned the boat for the last 5 years and it mostly got bay use.

My questions...

- Is the price fair?
- What do I need to know about this model year GW?
- What should I expect as fuel burn rate with these motors? I was thinking 1.5mpg total??
- Are these engines known to be work horses or duds?

Any other information, advice, or experiences would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Fred

Here is what I do when I'm pricing the boats I sell. Go to "yachtworld.com" or any other boat sales website. Put it the year or year range/size of your boat in order to get an idea of what they are going for in certain areas. In your case I would put in 1990-2000 27 Grady White and see what they're going for. That price seems fair to me as long as everything checks out.

I can't offer any information on that model. I tend to buy smaller Grady's in the 20-24' range. Just easier to sell/flip.

Those engines are notorious for fuel/oil consumption however they are very reliable and easy to work on/service. I've personally never owned a boat with that engine for longer than a year, but from my experience and what I've heard they are work horses for sure.

From my experience the weak point on them is the VRO pump (fuel/oil pump). Although I've been told the newer ones are more reliable than the older ones. Basically the problem is the oil side of the pump going and the alarm that is supposed to go off when there is "no oil flow" does not function properly. Resulting in powerhead failure. Like I said, I've been told older OMC's were more notorious for this than newer (mid to late 90's). In the yard I work at we have plenty of people still running the VRO pumps with no issues. On all OMC's I've owned I always bypass the oil injection, disconnect the alarm, and premix my fuel. Essentially eliminating the problem.

I cannot give exact fuel economy for those engines since I've never owned one long enough nor have I paid attention to it. What I can say is they are relatively simple engines to diagnose and work on and I recently purchased a 225 Ocean Runner with a blown powerhead that I plan on replacing the powerhead for my 24' offshore project.

Before I buy any boat, I always have a few quick things I checkout that help my decision. Run compression on the engines. I find these numbers more important than actual engine hours. Remove the drain plugs on the lower units just to see the quality of the oil and if there is any water in them. If you are able to run the engines, check to see they are both putting out to the batteries/pumping water/not overheating. Check steering cables/hoses, shift/throttle cables.

Check battery cables and whatever wiring you can get your eyes to. Looking at basic things like this will tell you how the boat was treated and what you're getting yourself into.

Good Luck with your decision.

Jason

fellinger

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, guys. It isn't a done deal by any means. Just doing my homework now. I know the motors have been serviced yearly by a reputable mechanic. I am reading over some of the things to look at in the Sailfish. Great site so far.

freddy063

Reaction score
That's a year newer than my boat, 15,000 would be a great price, and if the motors are in good shape a steal. you can't get hurt very bad at that price. Pictures, trailer, electronic, hardtop, options, boating is not a cheap sport. I just spent 10 k on new stuff for my old boat and will never gain that back, but I will enjoy my time spent on it.

fellinger

Reaction score
freddy063 said:
That's a year newer than my boat, 15,000 would be a great price, and if the motors are in good shape a steal. you can't get hurt very bad at that price. Pictures, trailer, electronic, hardtop, options, boating is not a cheap sport. I just spent 10 k on new stuff for my old boat and will never gain that back, but I will enjoy my time spent on it.

Yeah, I know the dollars and sense. This price actually includes a 2008 trailer.

fellinger

Reaction score
What do you like about the boat? What do you not like about it? Any warnings or cautions?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Since it is a friend, I would have a survey done for sure. This will allow you both to have a objective 3rd party assessment.
The money is important, but friendship more. If there is something that is going to run into money around the corner, I'd want us both to know about it and agree today versus having hard feelings tomorrow. Maybe he would be willing to split the cost with you and when complete, you both can get a copy. This way if you don't buy it, he has a something that details what/if anything needs to be done and it could quite possibly help him sell the boat.

fellinger

Reaction score
So, I looked at the boat yesterday as it's been two years since I was actually out on it. It has cosmetic issues.... scratches above the water line (no holes), cracked bow pulpit (On the side of it but, structurally intact) from a towing incident, and hatch covers are delaminating at the edges. I have read this is common for the hatches. There are some areas where someone attempted their hand at doing some touch-up paint on the topside but, the paint didn't match. The cushions for the companion seats and combing pads could use to be replaced or re-upholstered. The cabin interior is in really good shape and is dry. The cushions in the cabin are original and show very little wear and are not rotted.

I checked the normal places for water damage and think it's ok. The anchor rode locker is dry and the hardware there shows no corrosion. There is some clean water in the bilge and I couldn't see any big cracks or blems in the glass. There are no soft spots in the areas that I could reach. All hardware and batteries appear corrosion free. The bilge area does have a black oily/gritty residue on sides of the hull and battery area. I think it can be easily cleaned. I would assume this is just from back flow of exhaust smoke and dirt/grime working it's way into the bilge over the last 20 years. The oil tanks seem stable and not suffering from the rot that I have heard others complain of. The batteries are newer. The aft bilge is newer.

The motors look really clean. They had not been started since being winterized last year and each fired up within 30 seconds. They sounded great, had good RPM at idle, shifted nicely, and pissed strong. I was not prepared to do a compression test but, I suspect they'd be ok. I would get them checked before moving forward on the deal.

Now the big question is.... is it worth it at $15k??? I would think even with the cosmetic issues that it would be but, would certainly offer less initially. If purchased I understand that I would need several thousand dollars to address the cosmetic issues if I really intended to make her pretty. Thankfully I am friends with an old salt who also owns an auto body.

Thoughts??

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Like Jason, I'm also "in the business". If I can be frank for a moment, it sounds like your friend is already giving you the 'family and friends' discount. Assuming everything continues to check out OK (the cosmetic things you mentioned seemed well within the norm), I would pay the guy the $15K and feel very happy that you got a nice, big Grady with twin engines and overall is in good shape... for a VERY fair price. I think if he eventually puts that boat up on the market (advertised in the right spots, of course) it would sell in a heartbeat for $15K. He might even sell it sight unseen to someone many states away. And I'm not even taking into account the newer trailer - which could be worth a couple grand, itself.

fellinger

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Everything that I see is cosmetic and fixable with time, patience and money. Most of the cosmetic stuff I can do myself over time. My big hangup now is fuel economy. I realize the 2 stroke outboards are gas hogs. I just need an honest assumption of what I will burn at cruise. I am coming from a single screw I/O on a 1991 24' Bayliner Trophy. On a day of cruising at 3200rpm and trolling I average about 1.5mpg - 1.7mpg. I don't run the boat WOT or even too fast for that matter.

With the 200 Johnsons would it be safe that I would be getting 1mpg - 1.5mg (combined both engines) at a nice cruise? Or a better question what would you think the range of 200 gallons would get me?

Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'd say you're about in the ballpark, but I haven't run one to say for sure.

Something to think about... If you'd rather have newer, 4-stroke motors for a little better fuel economy, think about how much extra that's going to cost you to buy a boat with newer motors - certainly won't be ANYWHERE near $15K. Whatever that premium is ($10K, maybe more?) - you sure can buy A LOT of fuel for that upcharge. There's also something to be said for older, less complicated engines.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, my turn. The Ocean Pros were soon nicknamed Ocean Blows because of the oil pump failures. I really think you're on borrowed time until you disconnect the oilers and premix. Yea, it's a PIA but you got a world class fishing boat for a very good deal. Your fuel tanks are old and have seen non-ethanol fuel much of their lives. I'd also run 2 micron fuel filters.