1995 GW 208 Adventure

SpringLoaded

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Happy Holidays Everyone,

I have two questions pertaining to the above vessel that I own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Has anyone noticed any water coming in through the back scuppers due to weight? I have the below ball scuppers currently on the vessel, thinking about switching back to the flap scuppers attached. I have currently have a 225 2007 Yamaha Four Stroke (583lbs) and I am thinking of putting on Mercury SeaPro 200 (483lbs) and 9.9 kicker (108lbs) on the back? So...about the same weight on the back end in total. Not sure if the water problem is the ball scupper or the weight. I don't seem to remember having this issue when I had the flaps...

2. Also looking to replace the freshwater insert and tap in my vessel, it seems GW does not make these anymore. Does anyone have one they want to sell, know of an area to source these or failing that, what does everyone recommend to replace so I still have access to freshwater, yet a clean insert?

Thank you everyone for your time and guidance.

KingSize

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 1.18.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-30 at 4.29.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-30 at 4.31.11 PM.png

seasick

Reaction score
When heavier 4 strokes are installed on older 208 hulls, the scuppers may be partially submerged or worse, fully submerged. Flap type scupper valves tend to get stiff and don't seal all that well when the boat is at rest. Ball scuppers may help backflow at rest but they tend to get fouled especially in salt water and it isn't easy to clean them. Routinely replacing the flaps will halp a lot but you have to be sure that you get the correct replacement flappers. Some of them are odd sizes anda 1/16 of an inch can make the difference between a good seal or a flapper that binds.
On my 208, if the scupper flaps are old and not seating well, I can get water on the deck when backing up. I do not get water at rest but my engine is a 2 stroke.
If repowering take a look at the Yamaha 200 HP inline 4 cylinder motor. It is light and a very good choice for repowering older 208s.

Regarding the water fixture. Some companies have similar products and some will fabricate a replacement. Take a look at Boat Outfitters web site.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Howdy - 1993 GW208 owner here. 175hp on the back
I still have the original scuppers (flap type) and the only time water ever comes thru the scuppers is if all 3 of us are one side or back corner of the boat.
As far as the weight issue wih the two different power setups, being about identical I don't think it will make much of a difference.
With that being said, my cousin has a 209, basically the same hull. His boat is powered with a 225 and has been wet slipped its whole life compared to my trailered boat. I swear his boat is always wet in the back and seems like when Im in it Im standing below the water line..LOL.
I suspect his boat has a soaking wet transom contributing to the weight factor making the boat extremely wet in the rear of the cockpit via the scuppers. I would make sure you dont have the same situation going on. The wet transoms are a kiss of death on these boats.
As far as the insert - Good luck, although I have seen the on FleaBay once in a while. Not sure what broken about yours, the pic looks good. Maybe you can pull it out and do a repair with some fiberglass products?
Also Boat Outfitters is a good place that may be able to come up with a solution for you.

seasick

Reaction score
I was going to mention that the extra weigh of the motor is not the only factor. Going out with a few decent sized fishing buddies will make the hull squat. So will a full tank of gas so if your trips are not very long, try to keep the gas tank level as low as is practical and safe. If you have some heavy gear like coolers filled with ice, move them forward, even into the cabin. The weight forward will cause the aft end to lift a bit

alan burack

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a GW 1995 208 Adventure with scuppers and have not had a problem with them. Four years ago I re-powered with a Suzuki 200HP and the additional weight did not seem to make a difference with the scuppers.
By the way, the Suzuki motor is excellent, quiet, smooth and economical.
The additional weight of the motor made it necessary to change the painted bottom level.

seasick

Reaction score
I have a GW 1995 208 Adventure with scuppers and have not had a problem with them. Four years ago I re-powered with a Suzuki 200HP and the additional weight did not seem to make a difference with the scuppers.
By the way, the Suzuki motor is excellent, quiet, smooth and economical.
The additional weight of the motor made it necessary to change the painted bottom level.
I don't know what Zuk model you installed but it probably is the inline 4 cyl which weighs less that Yami 6 cyl motors and close to the original OX66 2 stroke.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but I've got a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer and the one time I took her out fishing in October before winterizing her for the season, the boat didn't have any water coming in. That being said, that was when you were trolling or up on a plane and with only about a half a tank of fuel in her. When I'd go back and stand in the rear or the boat, or when I was standing back there with my uncle, you'd start to see water coming in and pool up in the corner of the stern. It's definitely a bit unnerving to see that happen and is likely because the rubber scupper flaps need to be replaced on my boat as well. I'd also imagine that if the fuel tank was completely full, at 92 gallons, instead of just being half full, that the scuppers could be at the water line or maybe even below it? I leave my boats out on a mooring buoy for weeks on end in front of our beach cabin on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound and it's definitely a bit nerve-racking to have them out there if you think they could start to take on water. I'm curious as to what Grady White says about the issue, as I'm assuming they still use similar style scuppers on their brand new boats? I was doing a quick Google search and ran across these kinds of scuppers, I'd have to imagine something like these would work much better than the standard cheap rubber scuppers? Also, could you put a blocking plate or something behind the scupper to not allow any water to come in or out? Or if you were for instance to take a wave over the front of the boat, will the water on the deck not eventually drain down into the bilge?

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
1. Has anyone noticed any water coming in through the back scuppers due to weight? I have the below ball scuppers currently on
If it makes you feel any better, on my 2020 228 with a 250hp and a 9.9hp kicker, just standing in the back you will get your feet wet.
Not the same boat but a data point.

seasick

Reaction score
Actually, that issue on a late model hull doesn't sit well with me.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Actually, that issue on a late model hull doesn't sit well with me.
I don't know if it is unique to me or not, I've only been on my 228. Any other late model 228s want to chime in?

I think you might be OK with one guy in the middle of the cockpit but if you put a guy on a crab puller, yeah, wet feet.

I don't like it but what can I do?

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 2006 208 with a F150. About 100 pounds lighter. I do not have an issue with water. Even with two 200 pound guys fishing off stern with all there gear. It will take some time to drain out of the corners if I clean the deck with water but nothing out of the ordinary. I also have the rubber scuppers. How close are the scuppers to the water when boat is resting? I would try the rubber scuppers.

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 2006 208 with a F150. About 100 pounds lighter. I do not have an issue with water. Even with two 200 pound guys fishing off stern with all there gear. It will take some time to drain out of the corners if I clean the deck with water but nothing out of the ordinary. I also have the rubber scuppers. How close are the scuppers to the water when boat is resting? I would try the rubber scuppers.
Around the time period of your hull Grady made some changes to accommodate the extra weight of the four stroke motors. One change was to add some forward ballast to help with the trim of the boat. If you look at the brochures, at some point the dry weight of the boat without motor went up by 200 pounds
The message here is that it can be misleading to compare performance of later model 208s to earlier ones.

Dboardfox

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 93 208 with a hardtop and a 2006 yamaha 200hp four-stroke. Just bought a 2022 merc 9.9 kicker and an extended aluminum kicker bracket from adventure marine. I have yet to install but will report back with how the geometry works. Currently scuppers are dry with two people fishing. I'm all for adding weight to the bow if they end up leaking with the extra weight