1995 Islander 268 re-power question

-Dan

Reaction score
Looking to repower my original twin 175 evinrudes to 2 stroke 150's, but I just came across a great deal on twin Suzuki 140 four strokes. The weight of the 140 four strokes is the same as the original 175's, but I'm thinking the boat will be underpowered if i go with the twin 140's. Looking for any experience or opinions. I know there are quite a few satisfied 268 & 270 Islander owners running twin 150's but have never seen a twin 140 configuration on this boat. Thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We are very happy with the twin F150s, but I would not go with twin 140s.

In addition to the obvious 10HP difference, the Yamaha F150 consistently test out at about 162HP during the emissions testing done by the feds. IMHO, Yamaha designed the F150 to be on the high side of the +/- 10% rule, as the engine would be compared to the great 150HP HPDI engines, when the new 4S engines were being introduced.

We would have repowered from the original single 250HP OX66 to twin Suzuki DF175s, but couldn't get a pair, or even a price quote, when we were ready to repower.

The F150s have almost 1100 hrs and are truly great engines.

Brian

-Dan

Reaction score
Thanks Brian. Weight is a concern for me, the older islander's were built with a "step" type hull/ euro transom design and 4 strokes are not necessarily the best fit due to weight. Also, I believe my boat has gained a little weight over the years as the deck drain scuppers are barely above the waterline with the boat empty. I am going to continue my search for twin 150 2 strokes. Thanks for the input.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I stayed with a single and upgraded from the ox66 250 to a Suzuki DF300. Great upgrade and only one engine to maintain.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
One of our club members just repowered a 268 from a single 250HP OX66 to the new Yamaha 300HP V-6 model. He is very pleased...

-Dan

Reaction score
I have seriously considered going with a single 300, but I really like the handling and redundancy of having twins. How is ther fuel consumption with the 300, I wonder if there is a big difference between single 300 & twin 150 (both 4s). I called GW (again) and they said that 4 strokes in 150hp range would not be a real weight concern, apparently I originally spoke with someone who misunderstood and stated 4 strokes were too heavy for my model/ year.

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We re[powered our 1995 Islander from the bulletproof johnson 175's to a pair of Suzuki 175 four strokes and cant be happier, the boat handles wonderfully and the extra weight has not been a factor. I did have my thru-hull fittings and hoses replaced as the boat does sit a little bit lower in the water in the back.We replaced the plastic fittings with bronze and thankfully we did it when we did as every hose was cracked! The Suzi 175's are a great fit to that boat!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Suzie 150/175s 4 stroke are 4 cylinder in line motors (same as Yamaha F150), the V6 4s strokes are much heavier two heads etc. The 4 cylinder motors are similar weight to older 2 stroke V6 OMCs as well as my HPDIs. OMC 175/150s were lighter though than 220/225 bigger block.

I have an Islander near me with twin F225s, but may be much newer when the euro drive was updated from flat bottom.

Since the Islander was designed for singles or twins, standard single was 250 OX66, big block Yamaha.
Forget V8 Yamaha, but I bet the new F300 V6 would be fine back there for a single if one wants more than a 250 single.

-Dan

Reaction score
By my calculations the Suzuki 175's would add an additional 200 lbs aft, minus the weight of the 2cycle oil tanks. My self bailing scuppers are currently barely above the waterline with no weight on the boat. In fact, I have to keep bottom paint on the lower half to prevent marine growth. The extra weight would surely submerge my scuppers.

ChrisA are your new bronze scuppers submerged or just sitting closer to the waterline? Also, how did you access your starboard self bailing scuppers/ hoses, it looks like I will need to cut an access hatch just to gain access to be able to replace/ work on them.

Thanks for the replies.
-Dan

abielecki

Reaction score
Hi Dan - I also have a 1995 268 Islander and converted from a single 250 to twin 200 hpdi's. The scuppers are half way submerged but I'm very happy with the repower. I think I will have to raise my motors one more hole though.

pbaygrady

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
One of our club members just repowered a 268 from a single 250HP OX66 to the new Yamaha 300HP V-6 model. He is very pleased...
Any idea what your friends fuel burn is and at what speeds??? Considering this set up myself.

Treasuretrove

Reaction score
Hi Dan,I have the same 1995 268 w/twin Suzuki 140 4 strokes, the single Yamaha 250 2 stroke was replaced
with these in 2004, I bought the boat in 09 in Jacksonville,FL the engines only had 56 & 59 hours on them.
They are great on fuel, Yes its not a speed wagon but at 4,000 we run nicely at 22knts. I have not pushed the
boat to wot yet at 5200 we were doing 31mph. Don't know how fast you want to go? The Suzuki dealer told me that a 2004 268 with the redesigned hull had 250 Yamaha's and the owner replaced them with 140's to save on
fuel. the 140's weight 410lbs each. and the 95 hull design boat squats because of the over hang engine platform.
total weight around 5800-6000 wet, gear etc. but comes up on plane with or without trim tabs. I don't live in
Suzuki land, all the Grady's in NJ are either Yamaha or Honda powered. yes the scuppers are 1/3 under water
but I'M laughing all the way to the bank when fuel was $4.69 gal. these140's engines might burn more fuel than 175's or 200's at higher rpm's as they would run harder but for my style of boating, I'm retired and not in a great hurry to get to my fishing grounds at the expense of high fuel costs, I can fish more times before refueling.
if you go to any twins from a single screw, the whole Grady instrument panel & controls will need to be replaced & a second fuel tank pick up is an option.
I have 2 Tach's, 2 engine hour gauges 1 fuel gauge & 1 battery volt/charge to keep it simple, no need for a fuel
monitor for the 140's as that I think would be a waste of money on 6 - 8 GPH engines.

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dan, Sorry for the late response,my scuppers are about halfway submerged with the new power,I'm not too concerned though with the new bronze fittings and new hoses.Yes,we had to cut an access hatch under the transom door to get to the fittings,we used a round threaded one with the o-ring seal.I'm glad we got to the hoses when we did,the old ones were an accident waiting to happen!

Reactions: Islander268GW