1996 27 Sailfish fuel capacity

GW96

Reaction score
Bought this boat early this summer and love it. It has the Main and Reserve fuel tanks and I'm just wondering what the sizes are on each. The PO told me the Main was 120 gallons and the Reserve was 50 gallons, but I think he was guessing.

I haven't used the Reserve and don't plan to, as I don't know how much it's been used in the past and I don't want to risk pulling any crap into my engines, but I'd still like to know the capacity of my Main tank.

I was also curious if anyone has retrofitted one tank in place of the two? These tanks are 18 years old so I'm gonna assume they don't have a lot of life left, no issues yet, but I'm planning on having to replace them in a few years. I'd like to take both out and replace with one bigger one, maybe like 150 gallons or so. Any opinions on plastic or aluminum replacements?

Thanks.

MDS

Reaction score
I have a 1994 25' sailfish-same boat as the 27'. The main tank on mine is 150 gallons and the auxillary tank is 58 gallons.

MDS

sailgsb3718

Reaction score
I have a 2000 272 and my main tank is 150 gallons and my aux is 52 gallons. Not sure if they changed anything between your and mine though.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can go here and download the catalog or manual to see what your capacity is - it will say 202 gallons. You can download the product catalog and the manua:

http://gradywhite.com/customer/manuals/

Back in 1993 the I/Os came with only the front 150 gallon tank and the outboards had room for the extra 52 gallon Aux tank.

Don't automatically give up on your Aux tank - you can pull your sending unit and take a peak in there. You might be surprised. The tanks on my 1994 looked new inside.

GW96

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the info. I knew it had to be more than 170 gallons combined, especially considering most, if not all, of the 272 years were when carbed engines would've been rigged to them.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
My 282 (01'model) Is front at 150 and rear (aux) is at 70 . I believe that the aux. was changed back to 52 due to weight of 4 strokes. Thats what I was told by those in the know.
As for the OP's ? 202 gallons...