1996 272 Sailfish running F 225’s

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Stbd power head has one bad cylinder. I have 1996 carb’d Yamaha 200. Model S200TYRU. I cannot locate a new powerhead so thinking about repower. Not a lot of 2 stroke used inventory so wondering about used F 225’s. I see some 1996 models listed for sale on yachtworld with F225 and looking to see if anyone on the forum has put F225’s on This year / model. This model does not have the full length hull. I am aware of the weight concern and that the centers move from 26 to 28”. Curious to hear from any one who may have done this..

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Stbd power head has one bad cylinder. I have 1996 carb’d Yamaha 200. Model S200TYRU. I cannot locate a new powerhead so thinking about repower. Not a lot of 2 stroke used inventory so wondering about used F 225’s. I see some 1996 models listed for sale on yachtworld with F225 and looking to see if anyone on the forum has put F225’s on This year / model. This model does not have the full length hull. I am aware of the weight concern and that the centers move from 26 to 28”. Curious to hear from any one who may have done this..
If you've not researched the older F225's make sure you are aware of the exhaust corrosion issues. It affected the generation from 2001, when the motor was introduced, to roughly 2005/6, though the definitive end seems to be a bit murky. I've seen mid-90's 272's repowered with 4's all over the place, so it must be something you can do, though to your point I imagine there is some fanangling to make it right. I don't know what your budget is, and if your considering new motors, but I'd look at Suzuki. If I ever repower my 282 that's my intention, both for price and performance. I've been on a Regulator 29 that went from F250's to the DF300's, impressive machines.

If your boat is in the water have you and a buddy go back and sit on the cowls, that should give you a pretty good impression of how the boat will be at rest with the heavier engines. Scuppers underwater, that sort of thing.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Italian Angler, thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. I boat in Southern New England so boat is in my yard. Pulled in late Dec so got a late read on my starboard engine. I have priced out two new Merc 200‘s (ouch) but the lead time does not support much of a 2022 season! I have also had the same results with the Yamaha I4 200’s and not sure of how they would perform. The F225 option is a consideration to get on the water this spring as they seem to be slightly more available. Ideally I find a power head or twin ox 66’s. Sorry for rambling on. And thank you again.

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
New motor prices are outrageous right now, if you got $50K laying around go for it!! Agree with ItialianAngler the earlier Yamaha 4-strokes are junk and stay away -- If you can find a good pair of OX66's at a decent price go there, they are thirsty and you have to pre-mix but Great motors. One thing if you do go with the OX66's -- make sure they are the Salt Water Series II that are fuel injected, stay away from carburated motors

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Rpriese, thank you. Yes aware of the issues on early F225 especially the corrosion issues. some are advertised that the repair has been made so I was considering only those. Tough market for used engines. Trying to research all available options. Shelling out 50k is a sobering proposition for my 26 year old boat so trying to find used options (not to mention the lead time to get new ones anyway).

I was looking for some 1st hand results from anyone who had put the F225’s on a 96 sailfish to see if any mods were done to the transom to support the weight / torque and how the scuppers sat. Verify or rule out the option.

Appreciate the feedback. The search contines!

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had a pair of 225 E-tec 2-strokes on the back of my 1999 272. It handled the weight, which should be about the same, without issues but I think the 1999 has a longer running surface than the earlier models (could be wrong here). It's not exactly what you're looking at but I can be a reference point if you have questions.

Reactions: efx

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
New motor prices are outrageous right now, if you got $50K laying around go for it!! Agree with ItialianAngler the earlier Yamaha 4-strokes are junk and stay away -- If you can find a good pair of OX66's at a decent price go there, they are thirsty and you have to pre-mix but Great motors. One thing if you do go with the OX66's -- make sure they are the Salt Water Series II that are fuel injected, stay away from carburated motors
I would very much disagree that the earlier Yamaha 4 strokes are junk and that people should stay away from them. Like just about anything out there, they can and do have their issues, most of which are the F225's from 2001 until roughly 2007 or even some 2008's. That being said, not all of them were/are effected by the dry exhaust corrosion issue, and from the little research that I've done I don't even think it's 50/50. I think the number is probably closer to 25-33% of those produced had the issue, although this is just a guess from the research that I've done, and I definitely can't prove that number to be correct. I will say that I just bought my 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer back in late September/early October that has a 2004 Yamaha F225 on it and it's never had the issue with just under 1k hours on it. Like anything in life, inspect the motors before you purchase the boat to see if they do have the issue or if they've been replaced, and if they do have the issue... then you work the price of the repairs, or potential repairs, into the selling price if you still want the boat. If not, move on to the next one and go from there. Lastly, when doing my research and buying my boat, I reached out to the local GW dealer here and they said they charge $2k per motor to fix the dry exhaust corrosion issues. Which in my opinion, $2k per motor is a lot better than spending anywhere from $20k-$50k+ for new motors, depending on your setup and whether you've got a single or twin mains. A lot of people who have never owned them will add untrue rumors to the F225's. They can and most oftentimes are fantastic motors if taken care of and the maintenance has been done to them. As with every expensive purchase, a survey/inspection of the motors and the rest of the boat will help give you an idea of what your near future maintenance costs could be. If you don't do that and don't inspect the motors/boat before purchasing it and just believe the seller to be telling it to you straight, well then that's on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captseahook

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rpriese, thank you. Yes aware of the issues on early F225 especially the corrosion issues. some are advertised that the repair has been made so I was considering only those. Tough market for used engines. Trying to research all available options. Shelling out 50k is a sobering proposition for my 26 year old boat so trying to find used options (not to mention the lead time to get new ones anyway).

I was looking for some 1st hand results from anyone who had put the F225’s on a 96 sailfish to see if any mods were done to the transom to support the weight / torque and how the scuppers sat. Verify or rule out the option.

Appreciate the feedback. The search contines!
How does the boat perform currently with the motors that you have on there? Does it seem underpowered? Per the Grady White website it says that the maximum horsepower for your boat is 450hp. It sounds like it really just depends on what you've got, how you like it, if you want to go faster or stay where you are. Doing a quick Google search it says the earlier model F200 Yamaha 4 strokes are around 490lbs in regards to dry weight, which is what the new ones are at as well. Comparatively, the F225's are a different sized motor and go from a 4cyl to a 6cyl, which also adds more weight to the motor itself at a total of around 583lbs dry weight. So, is it worth the extra 200lbs+ to get another 50hp? I don't have any experience with a GW 272 Sailfish with twin motors on it, but if you're worried about the additional weight and where the scuppers sit, I honestly wouldn't think the extra horsepower is worth the added weight and potential for having an issue. Another bonus of going with the F200's is that they don't seem to have the dry exhaust corrosion issue as frequently as the F225's do, as the F225's seem to be the most prevalent for having it. Are there any used F200's available? I'd have to imagine they'd also be cheaper than a pair of F225's.

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mustang, appreciate the feedback. This boat with carb’d 200 Yamaha salt water series engines performs very well. It is not underpowered. Currently coming through a power head that is showing that one cylinder is bad. Ideally, I find a remanufactured powerhead. It is just a bad market. And your advice on used F200 (pre I 4) Is certainly sound as I am not looking to maximize horsepower just be ready for spring. I have not seen a lot of the F200’s for sale.

The used six cylinder four strokes are heavier and wider changing the mounting positions (more holes in the transom). All that work is doable. Having some feedback from those who did would be great info..

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I admittedly don't know very much about outboard motors, or at least I don't know as much about them as I do about engines in automobiles, but I'm assuming your powerhead can't be repaired or fixed? There's a couple places out there that look like they might have something similar to what you're looking for, and I think your serial number for your motor will be an S200TXRU not TYRU. Check out these links, might be something that'll work for your particular application if yours can't be rebuilt or repaired.

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mustang, thank you will follow up with a call or email to the links you provided. I reached out to two others and they were out of my model. I will post up how I made out..

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had F225s on my 02 Sailfish. I had no issues for 5 years then traded the boat. The weight difference for the F250s is minimal if equivalent. Might be better looking for these and just take it a little easier on the throttle. Just an idea.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang, thank you will follow up with a call or email to the links you provided. I reached out to two others and they were out of my model. I will post up how I made out..
You’re welcome. With your motors coming up on being almost 30 years old and with how crazy the used outboard motor market has been, I’m sure it’s not been easy to find much of anything in that vintage as of late. Good luck with your search, hopefully you’ll be able to get back out on the water shortly.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The F225's up to the F300's are I believe the same block and/or motor, and in turn are going to weigh the same weight, at least that's the case for the new/newer ones. The 25" shaft version of the F225-F300 is going to have a dry weight of around 583lbs, at least the older ones will, whereas the F200 is around 490lbs. The new F225's - F300's weigh slightly less. So, if you go with F200's you're going to be saving a total of right around 200lbs of weight as opposed to going with F225's. And the maximum horsepower for the hull is rated at only 450hp, so you technically wouldn't be able to run the F250's, even though they're the same weight as the F225's. I'd say to try and fix what you've currently got, if possible, as it'll be much cheaper and probably a lot quicker than buying two brand new motors. If you can't, I'd maybe try and find some used F200's as they'll likely be cheaper than the F225's, as well as a good deal lighter. And the F200's aren't as prone to having the dry exhaust corrosion issues like the F225's are.

Last edited:

canvasback

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
i have a pair of 95 200hp txrt i am getting rid of in the process of a repower if you would be interested

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'll add one other comment on the F225's, I do have a pair on my 282. They are 2002 motors, the exhausts were done back in 2016, at that point I think the repair was a bit cheaper, but not much, still have the service records from the P.O. They are 2,000 hours young and counting.

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Canvasback, thank you for the heads up. If possible a repower would include fuel injection models.. but I will keep that in mind.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a 1998 sailfish with 2004 f225 yamahas. Had issues with corrosion & repowered with the f200 4 bangers, Absolutely same performance when propped right. My 98 had the full running hull. i ended up propping with merc enertias 15 x 15 3 blade which was a good match after trying several other yamaha & merc props. Had engines mounted up i believe 1 hole from standard, same top end better fuel economy. Made many trips deep with a heavy load with no issues.