1996 272 Sailfish running F 225’s

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CkJR, I called the local GW dealer about the F 200 I4 last spring to inquire about those on my sailfish. The response was an honest “ not sure but if I was going to do it they would give it more research”. They also pointed out the backlog time and as I was running ok did not pursue. I appreciate that info and will add that to the options.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
ItalianAngler, were the f225’s original with the boat or a re-power?
I'm going to assume they were the originals to the boat since both the boat and the motors are a 2002 vintage, although I can be and have been wrong before... once :cool:

Reactions: ItalianAngler

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The F225's up to the F300's are I believe the same block and/or motor, and in turn are going to weigh the same weight, at least that's the case for the new/newer ones. The 25" shaft version of the F225-F300 is going to have a dry weight of around 583lbs

Some F300s, like 2008s for instance are heavier at 800 lbs. Somewhere around 2015 the F300s did drop those 200 lbs. I've got 2005 F250s but my boat is rated up to 600hp. If I ever have to repower it would be to 300s but it would have to be the 600 lb ones...no way I'm adding 400 lbs back there.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some F300s, like 2008s for instance are heavier at 800 lbs. Somewhere around 2015 the F300s did drop those 200 lbs. I've got 2005 F250s but my boat is rated up to 600hp. If I ever have to repower it would be to 300s but it would have to be the 600 lb ones...no way I'm adding 400 lbs back there.
Looks like it was 2009 for swapping out to the 4.2L F300 that dropped the weight back down. Twin F300's at over 1,600lbs would be an insane amount of weight on the back of the boat.

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update. Found remanufactured powerhead and ordered it thru my marina. One year warranty.

Reactions: efx

Gmack76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This issue is really coming to a head for me. Also have a 1996 272 SF with original 2 strokes and re-powering is a matter of time.

- 1996 Yamaha 200 2 strokes weigh 419 pounds each x 2 = 838
- I don't think the yamaha inline 4 200's will have enough mid-range torque so, for me, those are out.
- New Mercury 225's weigh 475 pounds each x 2 = 950. Total difference of 112 pounds.
- New Yamaha 225's weigh 551 pounds each x 2 = 1102. Total difference of 264 pounds.
- Hondas and Suzuki's are even heavier . . .

With no more Evinrude, I'm a Yamaha guy and ideally that's what I want on the back of my Grady but at the end of the day I really think Merc's with only a 112 pound difference from original is the only easy option for new 4 strokes.

That said, has anyone thought of, attempted or actually re-located the 3 batteries for this reason? They have to weigh 35 pounds apiece, right? Maybe more? Say they are a total of 100 pounds. If you could move them somewhere mid-ship you save 100 pounds on the stern. (Place them on the bow and it's net negative 200, LOL :) I was looking and I bet you could get two of them on the shelf atop of and behind the hydraulic steering reservoir behind the aft berth. A third, I really don't know. It would be an involved job for sure and I'm sure there are other issues I'm not aware of. They weigh a lot though and moving them is something that just occurred to me today.

Any thoughts?

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
This issue is really coming to a head for me. Also have a 1996 272 SF with original 2 strokes and re-powering is a matter of time.

- I don't think the yamaha inline 4 200's will have enough mid-range torque so, for me, those are out.
- New Mercury 225's weigh 475 pounds each x 2 = 950. Total difference of 112 pounds.
- New Yamaha 225's weigh 551 pounds each x 2 = 1102. Total difference of 264 pounds.

With no more Evinrude, I'm a Yamaha guy and ideally that's what I want on the back of my Grady but at the end of the day I really think Merc's with only a 112 pound difference from original is the only easy option for new 4 strokes.

That said, has anyone thought of, attempted or actually re-located the 3 batteries for this reason? They have to weigh 35 pounds apiece, right? Maybe more? Say they are a total of 100 pounds. If you could move them somewhere mid-ship you save 100 pounds on the stern. (Place them on the bow and it's net negative 200, LOL :) I was looking and I bet you could get two of them on the shelf atop of and behind the hydraulic steering reservoir behind the aft berth. A third, I really don't know. It would be an involved job for sure and I'm sure there are other issues I'm not aware of. They weigh a lot though and moving them is something that just occurred to me today.

Any thoughts?

I repowered my 1994 27 Sailfish in 2021. Went with the new Mercury 225 V6's. According to Grady White that was my only option for our style of hull (not extended). I have thoroughly enjoyed them. They are super quiet. Push the boat extremely well and do well on fuel mileage.

Attachments

• PXL_20210520_001844119 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20210520_001844119 - Copy.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 10

Gmack76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I repowered my 1994 27 Sailfish in 2021. Went with the new Mercury 225 V6's. According to Grady White that was my only option for our style of hull (not extended). I have thoroughly enjoyed them. They are super quiet. Push the boat extremely well and do well on fuel mileage.
Nice. The white fits a Grady way better than black.

It looks like she's sitting perfectly. Scuppers above the waterline. Do you recall about how much fuel you had onboard in that pic?

seasick

Reaction score

Any thoughts?
Moving the batteries forward will not necessarily reduce the weight on the transom by their weight. The position, forward and aft of the batteries relative to the center of floatation will determine how much of the apparent weight is shifted. Secondly, the overall weight of the boat will nor change for the most part. The rear may sit higher but the boat still has to displace the same weight so something will sit lower somewhere.
In addition, it is likely that the battery cables will have to be resized to a larger gauge to compensate for the added cable run length. The battery switched and take offs will also have to move to remain ABYC compliant. That will add a bit of weight depending on the wire gauge needed.
It would be a lot simpler to reduce the laden weight by removing gear and or dieting:)

Gmack76

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Moving the batteries forward will not necessarily reduce the weight on the transom by their weight. The position, forward and aft of the batteries relative to the center of floatation will determine how much of the apparent weight is shifted. Secondly, the overall weight of the boat will nor change for the most part. The rear may sit higher but the boat still has to displace the same weight so something will sit lower somewhere.
In addition, it is likely that the battery cables will have to be resized to a larger gauge to compensate for the added cable run length. The battery switched and take offs will also have to move to remain ABYC compliant. That will add a bit of weight depending on the wire gauge needed.
It would be a lot simpler to reduce the laden weight by removing gear and or dieting:)
Yes, I did think of the probable need for heavier gauge cables. I didn't realize the switches would need to be moved as well.

In fairness to the idea, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue with the heavier motors is not overall weight. Rather, it's the added weight at the stern affecting the stance of the boat and possibly dunking the scuppers. So, yes, I should probably go on a diet but that's another issue :) Correct?

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
Nice. The white fits a Grady way better than black.

It looks like she's sitting perfectly. Scuppers above the waterline. Do you recall about how much fuel you had onboard in that pic?
She had 200 gals of fuel and 30 gals of fresh water in the tanks. And I carry 4 batteries in the stern.

Reactions: Gmack76

rpnserv

Reaction score
Had a 94 272, even though I thought they didn't come out till 95. Powered with 225 mercury carbed 2 strokes. Boat ran great. If I recall topped at 47 but loved gas. .7-.8 mpg..sold it and got 23 gulfstream with yami 200 4 strokes. awesome power and speed, much better mpg but in my opinion wasn't near the boat the 272 was. Went back to a 96 272 with yami 225 4 strokes. tops at 44mph 5,600 rpms gets about 1.3 mpg usually cruisin at 38-4000 rpms terrific
gettin up on plane. motors don't die off in a following sea climbing the backside of swell. Very happy with the setup. BUT, there's always a but. although my scuppers are above the water line I do think the setup is a bit ass heavy. I usually find myself running alot of trim tab to smooth out the ride and the uglier it gets and you want to slow down she'll come off plane. Can't get below maybe 21 mph and as an old man there are times I wouldn't mind comin in at 16mph. I don't recall ever havin this problem with the lighter 2 strokes, but don't remember numbers. All told this is my 6th grady over the past 44 years and I like this setup the best of the ones I had.......Just my opinion.

Emerin1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I ended up putting two used 200 ox 66 on the boat. Was a great summer starting them up on the 1st ignition turn as compared to the 200 carb’d they replaced.

seasick

Reaction score
Yes, I did think of the probable need for heavier gauge cables. I didn't realize the switches would need to be moved as well.

In fairness to the idea, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue with the heavier motors is not overall weight. Rather, it's the added weight at the stern affecting the stance of the boat and possibly dunking the scuppers. So, yes, I should probably go on a diet but that's another issue :) Correct?
Yes that is correct, your concern is the scupper position My point was that moving 100 pounds forward may not have the same effect as removing 100 pounds aft.
You can sort of test what might happen by putting having a person or two children that weighs about the same as the extra motor weight would move aft and then look at the scuppers. Now have the kids move to the helm where the batteries would be moved to and see how much the scuppers moved. The person who is noting the scupper position should not be on the boat.