1996 marlin 300 repowering options

jcoboating

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello Everyone,

This is JC, I am new to the forum. I just came across a really good 1996 marlin 300. The boat is in really good shape and I am thinking of buying it. I would love to hear some feedback regarding these hulls and also what would the be best repowering options.
I understand that a lot of these boats had twin 225s but I feel that this is a lot of boat for this engines, would you go with at least twin 250s or do you guys think that twin 225s would work. the boat will be used to go offshore in Southern California.

I would also like to learn what is the best way to know if this hull has any water? the bilge is super clean, and there are no signs of water damage or anything that points to water damage.

Thank you everyone and I hope you all having a great day.

JC

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You can sound the hull with a plastic hammer. Wet and delaminated spots will sound hollow. Twin 225's is great on the marlin. I'd find a pair of used 225 or 250 4 Strokes on the The Hull Truth or Facebook. Its worthwhile to pay for a survey unless you've done extensive repairs in the past.

jcoboating

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Harpoon ... thank you very much for your comment, I think I will get a survey and see what they tell me. Thank you and have a great day.

JC

Gary M

Reaction score
I'd go with 250s. My 2001 Marlin (OX-66s) has them and I cannot imagine putting 225s on it. There were fine on my 1994 Sailfish. But that weighed over 3,000 lbs less!

Once you take on a full load of fuel, water, supplies and some people, you'll be glad that you went for the 250s.

Also, you boat is limited to 500 hp total so even if 300s are tempting, your Insurance may not cover you. I'm in the same boat! I need new engines and would love 300s, but I can't.

Fully loaded for Bahamas trips, we cruise across the Gulf Stream at about 4200 rpms and that gives us about 25-26 knots with a fuel burn of about 1.0-1.1 mpg. My buddies (Non-Grady guys) always comment on how well the boat rides....... especially when it gets sloppy......

Reactions: ScottyCee

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with Gary M..250's for sure.

Gary M's Bahamas trips are fun to follow along to. He has posted really nice pics in the past.

I have a 300 Marlin as well, (with 350's, but it's a 2018.) They are marvelous boats. Hope it goes well!

jcoboating

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Guys,

thank you very much for the replies, really helpful information. This makes me think I made the right choice and went with the 250s. I went with mercury, four stroke, not the vetado.
What do you guys think about these engines?

thanks again everyone!
JC.

Gary M

Reaction score
I agree with K2 above. Mercs on a Grady are a bit 'unique' but do your best to take perfect care of them including breaking them in correctly and by the book.

Thanks magicbill! We've had the HEY MON! over to the Bahamas about 14 times between 2006 (Four Bimini trips that first summer with the boat!) and 2012. After that, we had a place in the Keys so there were not further Bahamas trips after that.

But when I re-power and do some much needed upgrades later this year, I will probably be getting back over to da islands next summer!

Reactions: magicalbill

jcoboating

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks again everyone, a lot of good advice and I will make sure that I do things the right way. Be safe out there.

JC

gradyguy04

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
i have 04 300 marlin with 225s, top speed now 32mph, minimum i would go is 250s, I'm doing 300s next season....heavy boat, plus fuel,gear and bodies on board....
also pair of new yamaha 250s and 300s are the same weight

jcoboating

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Gradywhiteo4, thank you for that advice, I went with mercury, but I will keep that in mind is I ever need to repower. Thanks again, JC