1996 yamaha txru - runs fine then wont start after a few hours

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
New issue lately, boat start up no problem (has always been a little rough at startup but once get going no issues and reliable). Drove about 45 minutes to go fishing, did a few drifts for about half hour each then pick up and move for 5 minutes or so. After 3rd drift or so, engine just won't start. After 45 minutes starts up and back to normal. Have replicated this twice now - pretty sure a no spark issue (even with a little starter fluid, not something I generally use on a 2 stroke, it wouldn't turn. I am hoping it's. I am hoping it's not the cdi, any suggestions or test to check?

seasick

Reaction score
Does it crank and nor fire up or does it do nothing?
The problem sounds like it may be heat soak. After running, and then shutting down, a motor might continue to heat up and some parts that weren't very hot before get hotter.
These issues assuming the motor cranks but doesn't start could be spark or fuel related. Yes an intermittent ECU could be an issues but simple things first.

seasick

Reaction score
One other simple thing to try is when the issue pops up, open the fuel filler cap and try again. It's a long shot but a faulty or slow gas vent in combination with a lift pump issues might explain the problem ( OK, I really don't think so but it is a simple test)

Also please clarify what the motors does. In addition to the question of whether it cranks or does nothing, if it cranks does it try at all to start (spitting, backfiring etc?)

seasick

Reaction score
Does the alarm horn sound when you try to start it? If so, does it stay on ? Does the horn act the same as when the motor starts?

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Does it crank and nor fire up or does it do nothing?
The problem sounds like it may be heat soak. After running, and then shutting down, a motor might continue to heat up and some parts that weren't very hot before get hotter.
These issues assuming the motor cranks but doesn't start could be spark or fuel related. Yes an intermittent ECU could be an issues but simple things first.
Thanks seasick. It cranks and cranks but just won't turn or even sputter (the engine usually turns over first turn everytime). Heat soak is what I suspected too, figure new coils are cheap place to start at around $100 bucks. Think if that don't work then the ECU, heard you can put a bag of ice on the back of engine to try and cool down, and speed up the time you have to wait to restart.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
One other simple thing to try is when the issue pops up, open the fuel filler cap and try again. It's a long shot but a faulty or slow gas vent in combination with a lift pump issues might explain the problem ( OK, I really don't think so but it is a simple test)

Also please clarify what the motors does. In addition to the question of whether it cranks or does nothing, if it cranks does it try at all to start (spitting, backfiring etc?)

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I tried the gas cap trick with no luck and also threw in some new fuel pumps for safe measure.

It will turn and turn but doesn't turn over or sputter. I didn't check spark (didn't have tester with me on the water) but I tried a little starter fluid and nothing at all. After 45 minutes, crank it for a good 15 seconds and finally kicks over.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Does the alarm horn sound when you try to start it? If so, does it stay on ? Does the horn act the same as when the motor starts?
No horn, same as normal (if pull the safety lanyard off then the alarm sounds when I try to start so I know not that at least)

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
No horn, same as normal (if pull the safety lanyard off then the alarm sounds when I try to start so I know not that at least)
Anything else electrical you can think of, relays or something else? Will replace coils, and bring bag of ice and see if I can replicate and if ice helps at all.

seasick

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect all coils to go bad at the same time. One thing I didn't think of earlier is vapor lock. That could explain the no fire.
Do you vhave a clear bowl fuel filter on the motor? If so when the issue occurs, pull the cowling and see how much gas is in the bowl. It should not be empty of course but rather mostly full ( but not completely full).
Have yo also tried squeezing the primer bulb to see how it feels an to see if you can make it firm?

I would also look for spark as you mentioned.

You might also try running the boat in gear at about 1500 revs tied off at the dock for a while to see if you can replicate the issue without have to be at sea.

Last edited:

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I don't think it fuel related because he tried starter fluid and nothing. I believe it is spark related. I agree the chances of all the coils going bad at the same time is very slim.

Reactions: imjus4u2nv

seasick

Reaction score
I don't think it fuel related because he tried starter fluid and nothing. I believe it is spark related. I agree the chances of all the coils going bad at the same time is very slim.
Good point about the starting fluid

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I wouldn't expect all coils to go bad at the same time. One thing I didn't think of earlier is vapor lock. That could explain the no fire.
Do you vhave a clear bowl fuel filter on the motor? If so when the issue occurs, pull the cowling and see how much gas is in the bowl. It should not be empty of course but rather mostly full ( but not completely full).
Have yo also tried squeezing the primer bulb to see how it feels an to see if you can make it firm?

I would also look for spark as you mentioned.

You might also try running the boat in gear at about 1500 revs tied off at the dock for a while to see if you can replicate the issue without have to be at sea.
Bulb gets firm and fuel filter is clear, 95% full. Agree all coils going bad is rare but was cheap compared to replacing the computer.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
New issue lately, boat start up no problem (has always been a little rough at startup but once get going no issues and reliable). Drove about 45 minutes to go fishing, did a few drifts for about half hour each then pick up and move for 5 minutes or so. After 3rd drift or so, engine just won't start. After 45 minutes starts up and back to normal. Have replicated this twice now - pretty sure a no spark issue (even with a little starter fluid, not something I generally use on a 2 stroke, it wouldn't turn. I am hoping it's. I am hoping it's not the cdi, any suggestions or test to check?
Cant believe i just posted the same problem above you didn't read your post yet

seasick

Reaction score
Bulb gets firm and fuel filter is clear, 95% full. Agree all coils going bad is rare but was cheap compared to replacing the computer.
And probably a waste of money at this point.
Can you tell me the exact model of the motor? Is it the injected model or the carbed model?

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
And probably a waste of money at this point.
Can you tell me the exact model of the motor? Is it the injected model or the carbed model?
Thanks sea sick - it has 3 carbs (model number in title, 1996 txru)

seasick

Reaction score
Not that it makes a ton of difference but there is more to the model number e.g C150TXRU or L150TXRU assuming its a 150 horse.

My apologies, I am getting confused about symptoms, questions and answers due to the two similar posts. I may not be responding to the correct data for your case.
I's a bit of brain fog.

boslaw

Reaction score
I have the same exact problem with my 1997 Yamaha 200HP motor. Always a rough start. Once I get going I'm fine, but occasionally after running for a while or if the motor has been sitting in hot sun for a while (eg when I'm beached for a few hours or drift fishing for a while) then I can't get it to start at all. The motor will not turn over. Almost sounds like it's wheezing. I've had the motor looked at for 2 consecutive years during winterizing and my Grady dealer can't find anything wrong.

My only guess is that it has something to do with the motor being hot but I have no clue what I'm talking about o_O. In each case, it eventually started after 30-45 min of trying and resting.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I can't add much to this discussion, but a trick I've done in the past when I got an overheat alarm was to hook up the washdown hose to the motor flush fitting and run water through the block with the motor off. Maybe doing that would speed up the 30-45 minute wait time, and if it did, that would strongly indicate it is a temperature issue.

My motor has an issue where if I do a warm start, it likes to stall a lot. With a cold start, it fires up immediately and will run all day without any issues. If I turn it off and wait 15+ minutes, it starts up fine, not as easily as when cold, but then stalls often until I get it up at a cruise RPM and back it back down. No one has ever been able to figure out why, but that seems like a different issue than a complete non-start.

Last edited:

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Not that it makes a ton of difference but there is more to the model number e.g C150TXRU or L150TXRU assuming its a 150 horse.

My apologies, I am getting confused about symptoms, questions and answers due to the two similar posts. I may not be responding to the correct data for your case.
I's a bit of brain fog.
Got it sorry about that, it is an S150