1997 208 Wash down pump not working

fullphase

Reaction score
I have a new to me 208 adventure. The wash down pump is not working.....when I turn the switch on I can hear it trying to work but know water comes out of the hose......any thoughts on to whats up?

thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Seacock open?
Filter clean?
All hoses clear?

If all else checks out, and since it sounds like you have power, issue would then be with the pump. Possibly able to rebuild - check out the specs on your model.

steveditt

Reaction score
Replaced mine last year ,simple job ,parts,Shurflo Aqua King Junior 2.0 Fresh Water Pump SHU-2901-0213 1 $87.79
Shurflo Twist-On Strainer - 1/2" Pipe SHU-255-313 1 $8.99 ,did you just buy this boat in Mass ?

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. Went so far as to buy a new set up and got the old one 80% removed when I saw the seacock in the bilge. Opened it up and it worked fine.

Average Joe

Reaction score
On the freshwater pump there is a screen-type filter on the inlet side that gets clogged up with algae, etc. Unscrew it, clean the filter and replace it. Don't know about the saltwater unit.

seasick

Reaction score
Average Joe said:
On the freshwater pump there is a screen-type filter on the inlet side that gets clogged up with algae, etc. Unscrew it, clean the filter and replace it. Don't know about the saltwater unit.

No screen in the oem install.
First find the seacock and make sure it is open (level in line with the seacock. Make sure the seacock works ( level moves from on to off and visa versa before any of the next steps! With seacock open and assuming washdown still doesn't work, undo the feed (input from seacock) to the pump. Water should flow. Be ready to close the sea cock if necessary to stop water. If no flow, strainer may be clogged, seacock may be broken or hose may be clogged.

Next, connect water input hose to pump and then remove the output hose. Water may or may not flow out of the pump depending on particular washdown pump. If no flow, power up pump and see if water flows. If so, reconnect output hose and see where the water is being blocked ( bad hose or fitting, unusual though).
If no flow and pump makes noise, it is bad probably a sheared impeller or a damaged impeller.
The setup is pretty straightforward and the problem should be obvious.

fullphase

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, I will try the above mentioned!

fullphase

Reaction score
well I got it working! turns out whomever did the latest install of the pump reversed the inlet and outlets on the pump.....therefore it was pumping air into the ocean!

seasick

Reaction score
fullphase said:
well I got it working! turns out whomever did the latest install of the pump reversed the inlet and outlets on the pump.....therefore it was pumping air into the ocean!
At least the fish got some air.

fullphase

Reaction score
got it on the water today to give the washdown a proper test.....it did work fine put found the hose itself was full of pin holes, just wondering if I should replace it with the same typical coiled washdown hose.....or is anyone using anything different that may work better? I am thinking of those new hoses that shrink down when not filled with water....thoughts??

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Since you don't know how old the hose is, I wouldn't condemn it. Typically, if kept out of the sun when not being uses, those coiled hoses last a long, long time. I have one of those "As Seen on TV" shrinking hoses (was given to me as a gift). They are VERY cheap feeling. But they're not very expensive, either, so it's not like you're out much money if it only lasts a season or two.