1997 ESCAPE REPOWER QUESTIONS

loafer-roatan

Reaction score
Group;
My 1997 209 Escape has the original 175 Yamaha Saltwater Series II still on it and it runs fine. 1900hours and no issues at all....BUT a friend of mine has a Yamaha 225 four stroke wit low hours for sale for $7000. I've got a couple questions or concerns:
1. Can my transom handle the extra weight?
2. Will fuel consumption decrease enough to justify the repower?
3. Will my scuppers end up below the water line?
4. Do I need to do anything to the fuel tank?
5.Will the new 225 mount in the existing transom holes, or do I have to drill new ones?

Use the boat mostly for fishing (trolling at 8 knots) for about 10 hours a day average. Is it worth doing and can it be done?
Thanks in Advance
AE

seasick

Reaction score
1. Can my transom handle the extra weight?
If it is in good shape, it should but the boat will sit differently.
2. Will fuel consumption decrease enough to justify the repower?
Wishful thinking. That depends on how much you use it but the added weight will be like carrying another passenger and that passenger is standing on the transom.

3. Will my scuppers end up below the water line? probably yes.

4. Do I need to do anything to the fuel tank?
Add gas

5.Will the new 225 mount in the existing transom holes, or do I have to drill new ones?
I don't know but make sure it has the correct shaft length

Bear in mind that your gauges may not be compatible or at best need new harnesses/converters.

There are some F225s out there with the 'corrosion' issue. Why is your friend selling a low hour motor?

What is the max HP for that boat. I thought it was 200HP

loafer-roatan

Reaction score
Boat was rated for 230hp max, but that was 2 stroke. Not sure why he's selling it, but I believe the economy would have something to do with it. The weight difference seems to be around 130 pounds between the 175SW2 and the 225FS

seasick

Reaction score
loafer-roatan said:
Boat was rated for 230hp max, but that was 2 stroke. Not sure why he's selling it, but I believe the economy would have something to do with it. The weight difference seems to be around 130 pounds between the 175SW2 and the 225FS
Have a person weighing about 150 pounds or more stand as far back on the deck as possible and that will give you an idea of how the boat will sit and ride with the 4 stroke. Try that with your normal gas load. The emptier the tank, the more the boat will squat in the rear.
I also forgot to mention that Grady recommended hydraulic steering for that hull with any motor over 175 HP. For the 4 stroke, hydraulic is probably a necessity so add that cost also.

loafer-roatan

Reaction score
Seasick;
Good suggestion. As for the hydraulic steering, it already has a Seastar system on it HC42 I think....
A

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
$7000 doesn't seem to be a great deal, how good of a friend? If the motor dumps on you 1 month later what's going to happen?

If the motor doesn't have corrosion issues and the extra weight isn't a problem, your style of fishing would benefit from a 4 stroke. In a comparison the carb 2 strokes guzzle fuel compared to 4 strokes when trolling. I wouldn't buy a 4 stroke solely to save gas money (it's never going to happen) but not to jinx you, your motor is getting up there in hours.