1997 GW 248 What?

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
##Edited## Some eagle eyes can read the decal, it appears to be a 248? I can blow it up enough to read it...

My Father-inLaw really liked my Grady, and right before he passed he bought a 97 265, or that is what his text to me said. I haven't made it down to FL to survey the boat yet, and I only have one picture. Can anybody help me identify the model of this boat?

Any ideas on value if I decide to sell? If my info is correct, it has a 2003 F225 with 350 hrs and basic electronics, VHF, stereo, etc. It is on a lift, I believe no bottom paint. I do not know if the exhaust has been done, will have to scope it & see. Curtains are 1 year old.
received_246809223372446.jpeg

Last edited:

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Definitely not a 265. Looks like it might be a 248 Voyager but I'm not familiar enough with that model to confirm. Believe the exhaust issue only hit those of us with the early-mid 2000s engines, was my understanding that by 2006 or so they had it fixed. Scoping can't hurt but I'd think your 2013 would be good to go.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Looks like a 248 Voyager , if she has a Yam 225 2013 model that will be 4.2 lt , they don't have the exhaust issue that the older 3.3 had.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Thanks. So, Voyager? I think I am going to have a surveyor go look at it. He didn't have one done. Paperwork is MIA, lol!

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Turns out the motor is an 03 F225, not a 13. Looks like we are going to sell it. Question:
Should I leave it in FL where selling season is winding down, but always decent, or bring it up here to VA where selling season is heating up, Grady Whites with hard tops & curtains are more popular?
Any ideas on value?

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If this was me. I would look for any paper work of the exhaust being done. If no paper work then just factor that having to be done into the price. Nobody going to pay for a “looks good” exhaust. List the boat online for sale in Florida and VA. Take a lot of detailed pics for if anyone serious buyer in VA.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd put it on a national selling platform like boattrader.com. Let the buyer come to you.

seasick

Reaction score
Exhaust issues weren't common in 03. Of course anything is possible. A knowledgeable buyer would be aware of potential exhaust issues but more importantly would be aware that there could be issues with any motor and a mechanical inspection is well advised. That goes for a survey of the hull and all systems too. Often a sales contract will include a clause of the rights of the buyer and seller if a survey finds problems. Right now, I would concentrate of the paperwork. If Florida is a title state, you may find it a challenge to sell without clear title.
Finally, if you are going to sell the boat, you don't do a survey, the buyer does that (or doesn't:)).
You state that the sale is As Is with no warranty. That's the way it works.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think the exhaust problem runs through 2005 and can be on the F250s as well. I had the mid sections done on my 2005 F250s a couple of years back. The parts definitely showed areas where the inner wall coating was gone and the base aluminum was pitting and being eaten away. I think it is more prevalent than people know but due to low use and metal thickness it takes many years to materialize unless you are putting a ton of hours on the boat. Just my opinion.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Finally, if you are going to sell the boat, you don't do a survey, the buyer does that (or doesn't:))

Yeah, that I am aware of... I mentioned doing a survey above if I decide to keep it. I am thinking about going down to see it next week & make a decision...