1997 seafarer repower

stmry

Reaction score
Unfortunately last season up here in new england, I blew the powerhead on my '97 yam 200 saltwater series carbureted engine. Grady suggests not putting a four stroke due to the extra weight. My options are to rebuild it, or install a new 200 hpdi.
What do you folks think i should do? and what kind of prices do you think I'll pay for each option.
Thanks for any and all suggestions and advice.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We repowered our 1989 with a 2000 200HPDI from a carbed engine, your carbed engine likely did better on fuel then our original, but we saw a significant increase in efficiency, also went from a 225 to a 200 and had no drop in speed and hole shot was better. 200 HPDI is a great engine, if you can get one left over and plan to keep the boat for years to come that is the way to go, if you might not hold onto the boat for more then 5 years, maybe a rebuild might suit you better, even with a good fuel savings you likely wouldn;t see enough savings unless you used the boat a ton in a short period of time. In the long run though the HPDI will save you money and last longer then a rebuild...assuming it is a leftover and new, or a lightly used one with proper maintanance records and hours of operation are at or near cruise, not at high speeds. I believe Gateway in Belford NJ has a leftover HPDI new, they did in the fall, not sure if they sold it or not, 14,500 was msrp when it first came out, I think they are closer to 10,000 now, depending on what price a dealer is willing to sell it at and cut from their profit. A rebuild will be expensive, but nowhere near the price of an HPDI, even a used HPDI in good condition will cost more then a rebuild, but the gap gets a bit closer.

isurus22

Reaction score
Honda 225

Grady never said anything to me when I asked them 5 years ago about putting a 4 stroke on my 1988 Seafarer 228. Regardless, I have a Honda 225 on it now and love it. It is a little heavier, but I used to have a 9.9 kicker with my old 2 stroke so it comes out the same. I wouldn't suggest having a kicker with a 4 stroke. The 250 HPDI is a nice engine, and has more torque, and about the same fuel wise. Not as quiet though.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
250 HPDI was problem plagued, I would personally stay away, 150 and 200 were bullet proof engines, a 200HPDI is the way to go for initial price and efficiency.

bigk23surf

Reaction score
I have a F225 Yamaha on my 94 and have no problems. If your worried about it put something in the rear of the boat as close to the engine that would weigh the difference between the 4s and the 2s and see if it makes a big difference.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
weight of a four stroke within the cowling if further aft then on a 2 stroke also, so add more weight then it should be, even weight will not give you a real feel for how it will sit, plus your placing the weight a ft forward of where it will really be to begin with, if your talking 50lb more then your current engine, add 100, if 100 add around 150, otherwise it won't sit how you think it would have.Personally my 226 sits right at the scuppers but they are not under, any more weight would put them under and I would recommend avoiding that on that model. Also note, if you add weight for engine, that takes away from the boats capacity so if you could handle 8 according to the plate, now you lower a person or so so remember that to stay safe.

gw204

Reaction score
How long do you plan to keep the boat? If it's less than say 5 years, I wouldn't do either. In that instance, I would find a used 200 to 250 OX66 and bolt that sucker on.

If you are going to keep it long enough to warrant dropping some good coin, expect to pay $12,000 or so for a new 200 HPDI installed if you want to go that route. If you decided to fix your motor, go with a factory new powerhead and expect to pay between $6000 and $7000 when everything is all said and done.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Search for my old thread about adding a four stroke to a Seafarer. My tests showed no problem at all adding an F250 to my 228G. However, I ended up finding the issue with my 225 OX66 and didn't have to buy one.

However, if I end up with troubles again, there will be an F250 on mine (and I've seen many others).

uncljohn

Reaction score
I got a new OX 66 SWS on my 88 228. The 4-stroke or HPDI were $6000 more than the new 2-stroke, and it would take me 20 years to recoup the difference in fuel savings. So it wasn't worth the extra $ to me. Plus I liked the lighter weight

stmry

Reaction score
repower

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. stmry

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
uncljohn said:
I got a new OX 66 SWS on my 88 228. The 4-stroke or HPDI were $6000 more than the new 2-stroke, and it would take me 20 years to recoup the difference in fuel savings. So it wasn't worth the extra $ to me. Plus I liked the lighter weight

20 years....with gas as high as it has been it would be a lot shorter unless you barely use the boat. We went from a carbed 1990 225 evinrude to a 2000 200 HPDI and saw a significant savings, we did 36 trips the last season with the rude, the year after fuel went up $1 per gal on avg and we made 41 trips and we had about a 45% savings in fuel. I've run similar boat's with OX66's and they burn a bit more then an HPDI, the savings would likely be about 15-20%

As stated above, it all depends how long he plans to keep the boat, but if it is over 5 years, the repower would be well worth it, not only in price but reliability. We had the same issue when we repowered, original engine needed a rebuild, and every season something went wrong with it, we just wanted trouble free seasons with no lost time, the fuel savings were a big bonus as well and made all the more sense to spend the money for us. We had planned to go with a 225 OX66 and our dealer talked us out of it, it was just after the HPDI was introduced and our dealer just got back from a sea trial of a 22 Grady with one in florida and said this was the way to go, after some research we agreeded and were the second boat in NJ repowered with one, one of the best decisions we ever made. The HPDI is a bit quieter then an OX as well, makes the ride a lot more plesent to be able to talk to someone next to you, not as quiet as a four stroke, but it was a big improvement.