1997 Tournament 192 listing more and more to starboard

Bobareeno

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
We've owned our 1997 Tournament 192 for approx. 5 years. When we first purchased it, it listed to starboard about 1 inch. Now it lists about 2 inches. I need an extra person on the port side of the boat to even her out. It does this all the time – at rest, low speeds and high speeds. Someone thought that maybe I'm getting water in the right side of the boat, and since it has stringers, maybe the water is trapped in the starboard side and never gets to the bilge pump. Also — my dad has the very same boat, same year... and he has the exact same problem. Any thoughts??

Timmaaa1856

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have a 1992 Tournament 192. I'd be interested to hear what anybody has to say about this. Mine started to list to starboard the last couple of times I've been out. At first I thought too much weight on that side, but even after shifting gear and people to port side, it didnt help much.

Topjimmy

Reaction score
My 94 always has since new and always will a first I thought it was the dual batteries AND kicker on the starboard side so I put one of the batteries in the middle that helped a "little" and when I take the kicker off a little more But it still leans to starboard just a tiny bit no big deal

Last edited:

Bobareeno

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Tim. My thought is that there are numerous places on the starboard side of the boat for water to enter. The live fish well overflow, drain, even the old vented gas cap (which everyone should replace!), etc. Over time, I think water is getting into the starboard side of the boat. This boat has two stringers that run fore-to-aft, and I don't think there there is any way for the water to get into the center section, which is where the pump is. Maybe the water has saturated the stringer as well, as they are wood coated in fiber glass (I think). I'm going to run this idea by my dealer/mechanic when I bring it in for servicing this fall.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Have you ever replaced any of the thru-hulls ? The original plastic ones do crack. Also inspect the fittings in the fishbox/livewell. They also have a tendency to crack or leak and the hoses connected to them

ncuke

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
We've owned our 1997 Tournament 192 for approx. 5 years. When we first purchased it, it listed to starboard about 1 inch. Now it lists about 2 inches. I need an extra person on the port side of the boat to even her out. It does this all the time – at rest, low speeds and high speeds. Someone thought that maybe I'm getting water in the right side of the boat, and since it has stringers, maybe the water is trapped in the starboard side and never gets to the bilge pump. Also — my dad has the very same boat, same year... and he has the exact same problem. Any thoughts??
Hey Bobareeno - any update on your listing issue since your original post? I’m having a similar issue - curious if you ever discovered the culprit...

seasick

Reaction score
It is important to make a distinction between a hull that lists when at rest and one that lists under power. As the OP indicated, it seems the hull lists at rest. Since the hull has been listing more now than a while back, it is safe to assume that there is added weight towards starboard .
The most likely cause of extra weight is water of course. That could be wet stringers, wet hull, or more likely wet foam. When the foam gets wet and that hull is foamed, it can stay wet for a long time. More importantly, the wet foam in low temps can freeze and expand leading to other structural issues. It is also possible that the mid bilge area has water that doesn't drain aft. That is commonly caused by plugged drain channels. You should be able to see the drain channel from the aft bilge and snake it out. I don't think there is access to the mid bilge area so checking from that side may be difficult.
If water gets in through the anchor locker, it normally drains aft. If the drainage is blocked water will buildup mid ship.
You may be able to remove the panels under the helm and get a look at the foam. I am not sure, You might need to remove the built-ins from the under the helm seats to check. Note that as the hull lists, liquids like gas and bilge water tend to move towards the side of the list. That can make the listing seem worse.

Willy-C

Reaction score
My 190 had a starboard list at rest when I purchased 10 years ago. During hot dry summer spells I noticed a black mold and moisture under the gas tank pie holes. The last three years it has been wintered in indoor heated industrial space with hatches open and a small fan pushing air thru the gas tank openings. The listing has disappeared and I suspect foam was saturated under the floor deck.

ncuke

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Well, I just had both batteries switched to the port side and it seems to have at least balanced the list. To see if there was any wet foam would have been very intrusive and the transom is solid so not going to mess with it. I'm looking to repower in the next month or so to either another Suzuki 140 (400lb) which moves her pretty well now at 36-7 at WOT, or bump up to a Merc 150 (455lb). Trying to keep it as light as possible - not sure how much further down the stern will go with another 55 pounds, but I really like the idea of a higher displacement 3.0 Merc...

Before - with list at rest with 2 batteries starboard stern...
with list.jpeg

After: Batteries moved to below the swim ladder, boat much more balanced.

Attachments

• level float zoom.jpeg
    level float zoom.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 3