1997 Tournament 225g fuel tanks

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Have a 1997 Tournament with the 100 gallon main and 50 gallon aux fuel tanks. Have had gas smell and traces of fuel in bilge. Replaced the gaskets on both the fuel sender units(aux one was shot). Everything I can see from access ports looks clean and tanks appear to be clean from the top with zero corrosion(boat has 180 hours on it). Im going to check around the fuel filler cap areas first to see if one of the filler or vent lines has issues. The smell is worse after filling tank. After that pull the floor hatches up and inspect everything. I know the gradys have issues with the tanks but this boat has been babied its whole life. Any other ideas where to look? Where do people get replacement aluminum tanks from and do they sell poly tanks in the same sizes? Thanks for the help!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your tank sizes, assuming they are original, are 92 gallons for the main and 56 for the aux, if so equipped.

New, babied or not, the reality is that the tanks are 20+ years old, and so are the hoses. It's time to replace everything.

Florida Marine Tanks and RDS Aluminum both have the measurements and can make you a tank or two that is a drop in replacement. You order, pay and the tanks arrive via UPS Ground.

You can find them on the web at: http://www.floridamarinetanks.com or http://www.rdsaluminum.com

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Got quotes from both And Florida marine tanks price was almost double. Waiting to see exact specs from Rds and then will make decision. Has anyone replaced their aluminum tanks with poly tanks?

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Also got a quote from Patriot Marine Fabrication in NJ. Has anyone ever used them? Thanks

dadsgirl

Reaction score
We had the same gas smell on our 1988 Seafarer a couple years back. Found the filler hose badly deteriorated from the filler to the tank. I replaced both the filler hose and the vent hose and everything was fine.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd stay with the al. Ensure they are coated and out of the bilge water path (mounted sufficiently high).

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Right now im replacing the lines and hopefully it fixes issue but i doubt it. Im figuring on new tanks. What kind of coating do they put on? Is it in the tank or outside? Thanks for the help

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Replaced all the lines and still no good. Can now see that the main tank (93 gallon) is leaking badly. Ordered aluminum replacement tanks for both. The auxillary tank don't look like it will be an issue to remove. I have the main 93 gallon tank almost empty (maybe a gallon on bottom) and all the braces and side chocks removed. The width of the main tank will fit through the access hatch hole but the length of the tank is too long to pull out. Ive tried lifting one end at a time and trying force it out and no good. Do I have to cutout the structural brace between the main tank compartment and the aux tank compartment to get this thing out? Should I work on cutting the tank out? Ive already called the place making my tanks and will have them make the main tank a couple inches shorter. Thanks for the help!

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
This is the divider in between the tanks. Could I cut the upper half of it out to remove all tanks and replace with a cross brace when im done?

Attachments

• IMG_3377.jpg
    IMG_3377.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

lubetkin

Reaction score
My 1999 225g started to have a really strong gas smell. Pulled the aux tank FMT-56-GW.. on inspection i discoverred small perforation holes along the bottom of the aux tank. I did have to cut the lip that holds the lid(floor) over the tank in order to pull the tank out about 1/4 an inch down the length of the tank.. Florida Marine Tanks wants almost 3000.00$ to for the replacement tanks.. That would be replacing both the main tank (fmt-92-gw) and the aux tank (fmt-56-gw)...where are you ordering your tanks from and how much do they cost ? also I noticed in the specifications my aux tank is .08 thickness vs .125 for the main tank

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is the divider in between the tanks. Could I cut the upper half of it out to remove all tanks and replace with a cross brace when im done?
The nice thing about working with wood/fiberglass is that you can pretty do anything you want and (relatively) easily fix it. Since this is below deck, it get's even easier as you don't have to be pretty about it.