1997 yamaha 225 issue

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Have a 1997 yamaha 225 on my Tournament. Engine starts and runs no issue. Took it out yesterday and engine would only go up to 2800 rpm when i gave it full throttle, then about 15-20 seconds later it would surge to normal rpms on its own and run perfect. If i backed the throttle down to below 2800 and then tried to go faster again same problem would happen. It gets stuck at 2800 for 15-20 seconds then jumps up to where it should be and runs great. I just replaced the fuel tanks(had hole in one and had some water in fuel). All fuel lines, fuel water seperator and plugs. Amy ideas where to look? Motor runs great besides this issue. Thanks!

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Its not the ox66 but i think your prob right about vst filter. Looks pretty straight foward to change. Engine is on a bracket with full platform, do you think i would be able to change with boat in the water?

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Took boat out last night. Primed ball till it got hard and then started motor. Let it run a couple minutes and ball was now soft( not sucked in though) , primed it again till hard and after that engine ran fine at all Rpm. What would cause that?

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Always primed bulb, started engine (started and idled no problem) and took boat out and would experience the issue. Last time I took it out I primed bulb, started engine, let it idle for a minute and then primed bulb until hard again. This time did not experience the problem I described. Going to replace lp fuel pumps thinking this will fix, if not clean vst filter. Both fuel tanks, fuel lines,vent lines, fuel filter and water separator are brand new so they are not the issue

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, the LP's won't magically fix themselves. What could "magically" fix itself is a clog somewhere, possibly from the fuel items being replaced and dirt. Or even a partially clogged vent fitting... which was was one of the reasons for asking if the issue happened on both tanks (still not sure, based on your response, though). NEVER assume that just because it's new it's not the issue!

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Priming the bulb again after starting the engine fixed issue. It didnt fix itself. If i dont prime the bulb after starting motor problem is still there.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Priming the bulb again after starting the engine fixed issue. It didnt fix itself. If i dont prime the bulb after starting motor problem is still there.
Oh, I see what you are saying, now. How many times have you now done that successfully?

Could be the LP's... maybe even an old/defective bulb. There are simple tests that can done for the LP's with a handheld vac gauge like a MityVac. I don't recall the specs off-hand, but they are listed in the service manual. On the other hand, they're not all that expensive and if you don't know when they've been replaced, can't hurt to replace them as they are maintenance items. Yes, you can do this while standing on the bracket. Very, very simple job.