1998 272 Sailfish Engine Upgrade

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi. I am interested in upgrading my 1998 272 Sailfish Yamaha OX66 225 (pair) to a pair of 250-300 4 strokes. Is this possible? Has anyone else done this? It's only rated for 450hpb so I am curious if anyone else has done this.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 4 strokes might be a bit heavy for the 272, compare the added weight to what you have now. Also do not exceed the rated HP. Your insurance will mostly like not be happy about it and if you don't have insurance the add HP may cause damage to your transom. Twin 225s are plenty for this boat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. If 450hp is the max rating for your hull, I'm not sure if I'd want to go above that, but that's your call as it's your boat and the liability is on you... so to speak. I think part of the equation for max horsepower is definitely the horsepower level itself, but I think the bigger part is the weight of the twin motors. Although it seems like several outboard manufacturers, like for instance Yamaha, have the same weight for their F225 on up to their F300, as I assume they use the same motor/block but just de-tune it for the lower rated hp motors. Same goes for Suzuki, Honda and so forth. So I'm not sure why you couldn't "in theory" have twin F250's as opposed to twin F225's as they're the same weight. But as has been discussed on here before, Grady White's aren't exactly speed boats or designed for going as fast as possible, so I think that going with more power is just going to cost more in the long run without really that much benefit. If 450hp is/was the max hp rating back in 1998 then I'm thinking that should be more than enough for you 20+ years later

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I looked at a ‘98 Sailfish with F250’s on it. No problem with the insurance company but it sat low in the water at the stern. The scuppers weren’t moved up but it was quick out of the hole and fast top end. Also looked at one with Etec 300’s that did 60mph but the owner didn’t have insurance on it. I’ve got an ‘01 282 and my agent said no problem putting 250’s on it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I looked at a ‘98 Sailfish with F250’s on it. No problem with the insurance company but it sat low in the water at the stern. The scuppers weren’t moved up but it was quick out of the hole and fast top end. Also looked at one with Etec 300’s that did 60mph but the owner didn’t have insurance on it. I’ve got an ‘01 282 and my agent said no problem putting 250’s on it.
I don't even want to imagine what the fuel consumption was on that boat when it was going 60mph. I guess it just depends on your insurance company as well as the agent. I've never had to re-power thankfully, and knock on wood, so I've always just used the outboards that have come with the boats that I've purchased. Seems odd that they'd simply not care at all though about the manufacturers maximum hp rating. Oh well, I guess that's up to you, your bank account as well as your insurance company.

Reactions: mleads310

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
for reference I have 2001 with f250s as well and my insurance had no problem with it. My scuppers do sit at the water line. Performance for me is great, but I honestly don't think I would be less happy with 225s.

Also to keep in mind didn't the 272s have the keel running surface cut short towards the transom, would that not help with weight? ust something to think about

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
for reference I have 2001 with f250s as well and my insurance had no problem with it. My scuppers do sit at the water line. Performance for me is great, but I honestly don't think I would be less happy with 225s.

Also to keep in mind didn't the 272s have the keel running surface cut short towards the transom, would that not help with weight? ust something to think about
I was actually wondering if it wouldn't reduce the buoyancy astern by virtue of having less hull back there

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
Just a FYI...you might want to check with Grady White on whether or not your hull is designed to hold the weight of F250's. I have a 94 272 and when I checked with Grady they advised me that my hull was not designed for that much weight on the transom. My only option was the light weight Mercury 225's.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I emailed Grady White last week to get the "Performance Data" information on my boat as it's since been discontinued, and the links out there with the newer ones don't have a Yamaha F225 as an option. They were great and emailed it back to me within about 20-30 minutes, but you could always do the same for your boat with the different engine options, if you can't find them out there on the good ole' interweb. Like skunk boat mentioned, some Suzuki 200's would probably work quite well as I've always been a big fan of Suzuki. If what he said is true and you can see mid 40's for your top speed at WOT, then I'd personally be more than happy with that. I personally am not one that needs to do 50+ mph when out on the water as it can take quite a bit to slow down and you're going to be burning a ton of fuel at those speeds.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree with everything said above, some great advice. Just to keep in mind even with my f250s I can just about hit 45ish give or take wot. Sometimes the added weight just isn't worth it. Those 200 zukes would be cheaper and lighter for almost the same exact performance!

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just a FYI...you might want to check with Grady White on whether or not your hull is designed to hold the weight of F250's. I have a 94 272 and when I checked with Grady they advised me that my hull was not designed for that much weight on the transom. My only option was the light weight Mercury 225's.
I was just gonna say this, pretty sure MERCs 225s a bit lighter. They also make a V8 250/300 that is interesting for us single engine owners.

Sailfish

Reaction score
You can figure out the weight difference between the motors you are considering and the current motors, and put some bags of sand on the transom to simulate the weight. I wouldn't run her with these, but it will let you see how she sits at rest. Make sure you also have a few buddies sit on the stern seat, to get the full picture. I don't know about you, but none of my fishing buddies are the "average" 150 pound person used on capacity plates

Captseahook

Reaction score
98 Sailfish here , replaced ox66's with 03 F225's . Have zero issues with additional weight, 98's were also the first year for full length hull. Actually talked to Grady about it to make sure , they said that from 98 to 04 was same hull , just a name change only 272-282. Cut my offshore fuel burns from 150,160 to 120ish. Full fuel , ice , tackle , water tank full and four fishermen / women , no problems . Just my personal experience. Hope this helps .- Capt. Hook