1998 272 Sailfish, few questions

Winged Pig

Reaction score
We have only had our boat for a week now and I have a few questions about it. The first one is about fueling it. I put gas in the boat today for the first time and I noticed that the rear filler (aux tank) took the fuel as fast as I wanted to pump it with no seepage or splashing. I only put it in fast for a second to see if it would take it. On the other hand, the forward fill (main tank) would only take the fuel at a very slow rate. Any faster and it started to gurgle and spit gas towards my hand. Is this normal for this boat or do I have a venting problem?

Also, when the front fill started to spit I guess some of the Ring Free and other Yamaha additive spit out with the fuel and slightly discolored the gel coat around the fuel fills. It's not bad or even that noticeable, but I know it's there... What can I use to remove that? Please tell me there is something I can use to remove it. Like I said it's not bad, but if it stays there I will see it every time I get on the boat.

Whats the best thing to use to get a slight salt haze off the windows? I have tried to use window cleaning products and even Bon-Ami cleanser, and while the windows are clean, if I look closely I can still see a slight haze or spotting on them. The boat was previously run in the atlantic near Ocean City, Maryland, but now it resides primarily in the Chesapeake Bay. I know I'm being a bit anal, but what can I say?

I know that I'm being a little picky with things, but I really like this boat. The engines (OX66 225's) have less than 400 hours on them and seem to look and run great. So far according to the gauges I'm getting 1.4 mpg running 3900 rpm and the speed shows 29 mph with the trim up five bars on the gauge and the tabs up in relatively calm water. That seems to be the sweet spot to me, but if I'm missing something please let me know.

I'm looking to upgrade a few things on the boat but I plan on waiting until after the season as I'm having too much fun to spend the money on anything other than gas right now.

Any other insights or comments on this boat or what I'm doing with it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
That is the speed from the Yamaha speed gauge. I didn't even check the speed on the GPS though. That was with nearly full fuel tanks and a full water tank. What speed should I be seeing?

Not sure if it matters, but my boat has every option that Grady White offered in 1998, and then some. It has air conditioning, a water heater, outriggers, marine head with holding tank and macerator, microwave oven, Radar, and I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Would all that extra weight account for the speed?

steveg

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Speed seems right with both tanks full. Try going to 4 bar and watch the rpms. If the speed up a bit, then that is the right trim. Yes, gas is heavy and you have 200 gallons on board. I have the same year/motors and have owned it several months also. Still learning about all the bells and whistles. My boat has about 300 hours and our big problem is that it has not been used much at all so we are slowly breaking it in. It was in the middle Chesapeake bay for the first 14 years, on a lift, rarely used and now we are seeing some weird problems. Nothing major. We took it out to the Hot Dog out of OC MD. and gave it first good beating. Good luck. Steve

steveg

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Also, the Yam gauge on my boat is 2 mph fast so use a gps. Steve

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2000 Sailfish with 272 OX66 and no bottom paint. That's a lot of engine for those boats and I'm able to get up on a plain on one engine. That said, depending on conditions, we sually cruised at 28-30 knots buring maybe 22 GPH. Obviously as you brund off fuel and weight, you should pick up speed and more. As for filling up the tanks, I always listened closely and watched the gages so i would know when I was close to fill up. Sometimes the forward tank would spit due to trying to pump in too much fuel and not allowing the air to vent quickly, Just take your time and don't worry about the stains on the gell coat. They will be gone in a day or two or you can spray some of that mildew spray from West Marine and it should be gone within a few. Enjoy the boat and always use Ring Free and non-ethanol gas (if you can). I run offshore and we burn through the fuel ever week or two but if your fuel is going to be sitting for a few weeks or more, put that red storage stuff in with the filll up too. Gas loses its octane level quickly (or so I've been told) which may cause fuel issues. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

Steveg, I will try to go back to 4 bars, but when I was playing with it the other day it seemed to get the most speed when I got it to 5 bars. Maybe due to conditions??? Anyway, I will check it again the next time I go out, as well as check the speedo against the GPS. Do you use any tabs with that setting, or just run them full up?

grady28, Your number seem to be pretty close to mine, so that makes me feel like I am at least close. I guess I will just have to take my time when fueling the boat. Not that big of a deal, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have something wrong. I did use both Ring-Free and Yamaha's other additive. Not sure the name of it, but it was what was recommended by two separate dealers and it was red. I'll check the boat tomorrow to see if the slight stain is gone.

What do you all do with regards to storing fuel when the boat is out of the water? Like over the winter? Is it better to leave it down or fill it up? I have heard differing opinions and would like to hear what works for you.

Thanks again, and I am really enjoying this boat and this site!

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys long time since I've posted but ran into some headaches during the season.

First off, congrats on the new boat,I have a 99 with the same engines and love them. Post the board for the next season and well tell ya what you need to keep her running good.

I have had that same gas issue also and it's all about how fast the gas pump is filling, try to set it on the slower speed to avoid spit up..

My issues : I got a deep scratch through the gel coat and it's killing me. Should I get it repaired professionally or is it easy to fix but the damn scratch is deep..? Any suggestions

Also, the trim on one motor won't guy down until I hit the switch a few times, bad wire or hydraulics going out?

As for steering lube, should I drain system or just fill her up??

Macerator, she goes on but the tank still shows full. Could there be a clog?

Sorry for so many questions but that's why we're all here :dance

P.s. writing y'all from ocean city Maryland boardwalk, rainy night but always a good time!!!

steveg

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Johnnyboy, as far as the hydraulic steering fluid, you should replace it with new fluid. I had to do the job when the Yamaha dealer did not tighten the steering nut on the left, looking at engine, and all the fluid ran out. So the Yam dealer gave me the correct fitting which screwed into the steering hydraulic fitting on top of the steering wheel. The fitting screwed in and the other end screwed into a std. hydraulic fluid bottle . Loosen up the bleeder on the steering bar and turn the wheel back in forth, in my case until all the bubbles came out the fluid looked clean. The old fluid was real dark. Actually, very easy job, but takes two people. Steve

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wingedpig - the red stuff should be fuel stabilizer. Unless you are running offshore and burning thru fuel every few weeks, it is a good idea to add stabilizer. I would also avoid ethanol fuel and continue to use ring free with every fill up. A little extra cost now, less problems later. As for winter storage, I fill the boat with stabilizer (full) and have never had a problem. Gas tank is vented so moisture can collect in tank if left empty or less than full. Plus it's always a bonus in the spring cause the fuel is already paid for. Hope this helps!

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I'm sure you already realize this but.......the fuel vent return is vent directly out near the top of the fill just below the internal threads on the fuel filler. Is the spitting of fuel actually coming from the vent and not directly upwards from the fuel fill line? In which case ease u on the fill speed.

I also own a 98 Sailfish 272 with twin OX66's Fuel filters (three on each motor) and stay up on the maintenance. Those motors will treat you well as long as you keep them happy. My fuel burn is usually 19gph @ 28 mph

Enjoy the boat!

Lu Sea : http://vimeo.com/47495041

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Thanks Tom,

That helps. The spitting was coming from the vent inside the fuel fill, but I didn't understand why the main tank would spit while the aux didn't spit at all. Guess I'll just have to take my time with the fill.

Are the fuel filters you are referring to the VST filters, or something else? My boat has two Racor filters in the aft compartment, but I'm not sure what you are talking about. I do plan on doing my own maintenance so I'm interested in what you are talking about.

Great vid by the way! Your boat looks great.

Thanks again.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Fuel Filters: There are three filters per engine. VST,one on-engine paper filter (right side rear) and the screw on remotes in the under the aft seat area. (Buy NAPA Gold filters and forget the "Racor" brand)

Oil injection filter: This one is important and often overlooked (because Grady has placed the Yamaha remote oil tanks under the live well :hmm ) There is a fine mesh screen located before the on-tank transfer pump which is attached to each remote oil tank. These should be changed (depending on hours of use) every three years plus or minus. I found this out the hard way. I was making a 90 mile trip and being the boats third owner, never knew if they were changed. The Starboard engine went into "limp" mode as no oil was being transfered from the remote tank to on-engine tank.........because the screen was clogged with tank sludge. Do yourself a favor. Pule the livewell at the end of the season and change both tank screens. They are $14 each :-|

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Tom,

I did not know about the paper filter, but I will make sure that all of them get changed in a few months when the boat comes out of the water. I've got a whole laundry list of things to check/change and plan on doing them myself over the winter.

I am really enjoying this boat.

Thanks for the help.