1998 272 Sailfish Re-power

Greg French

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Current 272 Sailfish Yamaha 225 HP 0X66 2 strokes (495lbs each). Considering Suzuki 225 hp 4 stroke (619lbs ea). Would Yamaha 200 hp 4 strokes (525lbs each) be a better choice?? DEC or Mechanical ??? Claim giving up a little hole shot but still 40mph plus boat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You have a couple of different options here. First of all, per the brochure your hull is rated for a maximum of 450 hp, of which if you wanted to maximize your horsepower levels while also keeping the weight as low as possible... your best bet imo would be a pair of Mercury 225 FourStroke series outboards at 475 lbs a piece. Which are actually lighter than what your claim is for the current ox66's on your boat, and I'd get their digital or fly by wire versions of those motors. If on the other hand you aren't looking for maximum horsepower, you could either do the 200 Mercury's as well, or another great option would be a set of Suzuki DF200AP's. Those weigh in at 531 lbs a piece, which are essentially the exact same weight as the Yamaha F200's you mention above, on top of which the Suzuki DF200AP's also come with their digital/fly by wire controls, which I'd take over the mechanical ones. Both Mercury and Suzuki are going to come with a standard 5 year warranty vs Yamaha which comes with a standard 3 year warranty. I'm sure you could always pay more for a longer warranty, but I imagine twin Yamaha F200's are going to probably be $5k+ more than both Mercury and Suzuki, and that's likely going to be for the mechanical models. There are a few guys on here that have 265 Express's or a 270 Islander that have twin Suzuki 200's on their boats and they have good things to say about them. I imagine you'd likely be just as happy with them on your boat as well. In fact, I even just checked the Yamaha website and a single F225 is $26,470 vs the Suzuki DF200AP which you can find online for just over $15k. Even the Yamaha F200 with digital controls is going to be almost $26k for that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Fishtales

Reaction score
Gotta have local service for whatever you buy. I like the Suk 225s if you have it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The only issue with the Suzuki DF225T is that it's heavier compared to other brands, of which it weighs in at 606 lbs a piece. Comparatively Yamaha is 551 lbs and Mercury is going to be 475 lbs for their FourStroke version. Then, the other issue with the Suzuki DF225T is that it won't have digital or fly by wire controls, if one really wanted to have them.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Zuke DF225T are only mechanical. Older design motors. You have to buy one counter rotating. The DF200AP and DF250AP can change rotation with a plug.
IMO it is way worth it to get digital/flybywire controls. Its 2024 for godsake... like buying a car " ahh I don't need power windows and bluetooth to my phone" ...really?
DF200APs would work great on that boat. So would the new Mercs 225 or 250 and Yammie F200s

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the Yamaha 200’s on my sailfish, have plenty of power in ugly seas, cruising at 30mph at 15gph fuel consumption…. 4200 rpm. I like them, no complaints other than it’s about an hour to get to my service provider, I bought the boat this way, I also have a kicker so not a lot of extra for more weight

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Zuke DF225T are only mechanical. Older design motors. You have to buy one counter rotating. The DF200AP and DF250AP can change rotation with a plug.
IMO it is way worth it to get digital/flybywire controls. Its 2024 for godsake... like buying a car " ahh I don't need power windows and bluetooth to my phone" ...really?
DF200APs would work great on that boat. So would the new Mercs 225 or 250 and Yammie F200s
The hull is only "rated" for a maximum of 450 hp, which would mean at the most twin 225's if the OP wanted to stay within that limit. If not, then it's the OP's boat, his decision as well as his expenditure, and I guess in theory he could probably even put twin 300's on there if he really wanted to. Not sure how that would work out with the dealer installing the outboards and if they'll go over the maximum or not, but that's another topic of discussion. Also, just as an fyi the Yamaha F200's are
$26,470 a piece for the 25" shaft mechanical version. I imagine they're probably another couple thousand dollars each for the digital or fly by wire versions on top of that. The Yamaha F250 starts at $29,810 a piece for the 25" shaft digital version and only goes up from there, as well as mentioned before where it only comes with a standard 3 year warranty vs both Suzuki and Mercury that come with a 5 year warranty. I would agree though in that if you're going to spend upwards of $35k or more, that you might as well get the digital or fly by wire controls on top of that.