1998 272 Sailfish seems tippy.

Papa J

Reaction score
1998 Sailfish with twin 225 OX66.
Has tower with 2nd steering station.

going down or cross swell the boat seems to want to roll really hard to the point where it seems uncontrollable.

Wondering how much of a factor the tower is or is this a thing with this Grady or Gradys in general.

Anyone else have an issue with there boat. Preferable answers same model

Attachments

• Papa J.JPG
    Papa J.JPG
    708.5 KB · Views: 840

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Are you getting the heavy rolling action just when someone's up there at the second helm, or even without a person up top?

In any case, I'd say that a 272/282 sailfish with 2 people just in the standard helm/copilot seats can roll a decent amount in a quartering or beam sea. But so far never uncontrollable.

I'd say the tower in your picture, with or without the weight of an operator at the second station , would dramatically increase your boat's tendency to roll over hard. Looks like a fairly heavy bit of kit.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Having owned the same boat I would say that the combination of 20 degree dead rise, cabin top weight above the center of gravity and a 9'-6" beam does not lend itself well to a tower configuration. Now on the other, A center console boat such as a 32' Andros with near the same dead rise will snap back quickly.